AMD Talks Down the Importance of x86 Performance

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
In a blog post made by AMD's Director of Client Technology, Godfrey Cheng, the argument is made that x86 performance isn't a factor that should be weighed too heavily when it comes to making comparisons between the two major CPU competitors, AMD and Intel. Given that it's Intel with the clear advantage in x86 performance, this blog post could be seen as a way for AMD to spread some FUD around, but let's not jump to conclusions.

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Running a video behind the game overlay? Right...

If a person really cares about their GPU performace they're still going to use a real GPU, not an integrated solution like SandyBridge or Llano. Telling customers that CPU performance doesn't matter in regards to spreadsheets, emails, web surfing, or whatever else is well and good... but when do those people care about what CPU they are running? Sounds to me like AMD is giving up on catching up anytime in the foreseeable future.

Hawke

Obliviot
Heres one thing I dislike about these integrated graphics CPU's is that I will be purchasing a CPU with some extras I may not like/use and opt for a graphics card solution instead.

Ok - I can see the benefit (with the graphics processor right next to the CPU cores have less to travel) but if something better comes out graphics wise and the CPU speed is sufficient, I am not going to ditch a CPU that cost me £££ for a CPU with similar performance but with a new GPU inside for more £££

Since I am wondering if this is the future of desktop CPU's I may be forced to purchase mid to near high range workstation/server CPU's (like Xeons) since these will not contain these "integrated graphics solutions" (and why would a server CPU contain integrated graphics unless server motherboards cease to have integrated graphics themselves)

I hope the future of CPU's will provide system developers a choice of having a CPU with integrated graphics or opt for the old fashioned way

I am a bit out of date with computer hardware since nearly this time last year but I guess I should watching and pondering the time when I will have to gut my PC again and put new hardware in it

A question relating to the article, what is the point of running a game and watching a video at the same time, sure this is only a demonstration of what the CPU can do but - - why?

Last edited:

Kayden

Tech Monkey
A question relating to the article, what is the point of running a game and watching a video at the same time, sure this is only a demonstration of what the CPU can do but - - why?

Instead of buying a TV or having their computer in the living room, they just use a 2nd monitor to either stream netflix or watch dvd/bluray movies. This could be to cut down on space, noise or I know for some people this gives them a excuse to get a 2nd monitor and now they have to use it, that is usually the case.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hawke said:
Ok - I can see the benefit (with the graphics processor right next to the CPU cores have less to travel) but if something better comes out graphics wise and the CPU speed is sufficient, I am not going to ditch a CPU that cost me £££ for a CPU with similar performance but with a new GPU inside for more £££

You don't -have- to use the integrated graphics processor, though. It's just another feature tacked on there for those that do. A typical PC gamer is not going to consider using the IGP, but for most users, it's sufficient for HD video and casual games. For the rest of us, we'll stick to a discrete GPU.

The "cost" of the IGP inside of a SB or similar CPU is hard to define, because there just isn't one. The GPU and CPU are one in the same in the current crop of processors. But I think it's best to consider that the IGP isn't a needless feature tacked on, because a LOT of people will make use of it, and for those that don't, it will just sit there doing nothing.

It is important to note, though, that with QuickSync and Z68, you can use both the IGP and discrete GPU in unison. While you are gaming it up with your discrete card, you could be encoding a video with the IGP. That's a nice feature.

As for server CPUs, I can't ever see those including an IGP, unless we reached a point where the silicon required was so minimal, it just didn't matter that it was there (some -would- use it, so there isn't a ton of reason to deliberately leave it out). The same goes for the beefiest CPUs out there. Not everyone who purchases a six or eight core CPU will be a gamer, so for those using the CPU for other purposes, an IGP could be appreciated. Being able to forego a discrete card means that their workstations would run with less power, and require less room.