AMD Reiterates Success of its HD 7000 Series

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hot on the heels of the news that NVIDIA just became TSMC's most important customer, AMD has shot out an e-mail that reiterates the company's thoughts on its current market position. In it, the company states, "The AMD Radeon HD 7970 is available for as low as $479, while the AMD Radeon HD 7950 is available for as low as $399. We expect to continue to have strong supply on all of our 28nm GPUs going forward. In contrast, both GTX 680 and GTX 690 have not been supplied in any significant volume and continue to be unavailable at major stores like Newegg in the US and Alternate Europe (as of noon, Wednesday May 8th)." (bold is AMD's.)

amd_radeon_hd_7970_122211_thumb.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

marfig

No ROM battery
And AMD is right of course. Just recently I had the opportunity to state this much on these forums. The problem isn't even exclusive to the 6xx series. The same thing happened and continues to happen with the GTX 590.

As much as I'm a critic of AMD marketing strategies that haven't been able to place them as the top dogs of the 3D video card market, this is a company that delivers products at competitive prices (in fact offers a low and mid price range of cards that is far superior to NVIDIA). NVIDIA, on the contrary plays the "fastest card on the planet" trump card with products that aren't marketable and most users will rarely ever see one, other than in review websites and the photos on some out of stock web store.

I don't use an AMD card for a little over 1 year. After nearly 10 years, I switched to NVIDIA because frankly I was tired of AMD crappy drivers. There's a 5 year old bug that corrupts your mouse pointer when trying to use a full screen virtual machine on a second monitor, for instance. And there's a few other situations like these that eventually got me say I had enough. But not for one moment I doubt AMD superior quality/price ratio and the fact they don't fool users with cards that "don't exist".