AMD Radeon HD 6990 Dual-GPU Graphics Card Review

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's been a long while since we've last seen a $700 graphics card, but AMD revives that tradition with its Radeon HD 6990 dual-GPU offering. Fortunately, the card has proven that its high price-tag is well-earned, as it storms past every other single and dual-GPU graphics card on the market, and introduces other useful features to boot.

You can read through our in-depth look at AMD's latest dual-GPU graphics card and then discuss it here!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Sick is right! I feel like hauling it out of the benchmarking machine and putting it in mine :D Alas, I need it for further testing :-(

stangflyer

Obliviot
What I see on all the reviews but I would love to see somewhere is the diff between the 5970 at 5870 speeds. 850 core and say 1150 memory. The 5970 is downclocked heavily to meet power specs. I play metro and crysis at 850core and 1150 mem all day long in eyefinity at 5040x1050. All the 5970's can run at this speed all day long in a half decent case. Would be nice to see!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
*Nerdgasm*

Haha, with you, I was a little worried you were going to faint :D

What I see on all the reviews but I would love to see somewhere is the diff between the 5970 at 5870 speeds. 850 core and say 1150 memory. The 5970 is downclocked heavily to meet power specs. I play metro and crysis at 850core and 1150 mem all day long in eyefinity at 5040x1050. All the 5970's can run at this speed all day long in a half decent case. Would be nice to see!

I have to admit, I am not quite sure exactly what kind of information you're looking for. Are you able to elaborate? In the case of the dual-GPU HD 5970, yes, it <em>is</em> downclocked, but to see how it compares to say, HD 5870 speeds, all you really need to do is look at the performance of 2 HD 5870s in CrossFireX mode. Unfortunately, we don't have that. We do have CrossFireX'd HD 6870s, but those aren't quite comparable due to architecture differences.

Which do you own, an HD 5870, or HD 5970? Either way, you must really Metro and Crysis to be playing them all day ;-)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Wow Rob! You really got some serious scores out of it! Good review, mate.

Thanks man, glad you enjoyed it :D

hey rob! time to try out Metro 2033 in DX11 finally? :p

WHY YOU LITTLE...

Actually, with the mass of games that are coming out in March, I am likely to do a full suite revamp in early April, and when I do... I'll introduce DX11 into Metro 2033 ;-)

(Other games are looking to be Shogun 2, Dragon Age II, Crysis 2 and Homefront)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I watched GameTrailers' review of Dragon Age II and I'd have to agree on the battle system... it doesn't appeal to me too much. I'd still give it a chance though.

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
I mean, it's boring. You use the wasd keys to move yourself AND the camera, and you right click an enemy to attack. once he's dead, right click next enemy. You don't have to do anything while you're attacking either. Just click and your character does the rest. Graphics are also WAY lower than what I expected. Like..they're high-end PS2 graphics. lol.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Ugh... that sounds like a true console port, right there. The GameTrailers review said that on the console, the game has the tendency to literally halt on occasions, while the PC version seemed to be smooth.

Perhaps I'll not benchmark with DAII then. I had expected it to be a lot better.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Ugh... that sounds like a true console port, right there. The GameTrailers review said that on the console, the game has the tendency to literally halt on occasions, while the PC version seemed to be smooth.

Perhaps I'll not benchmark with DAII then. I had expected it to be a lot better.

Its best to not use a game which has been developed to cater the console crowd! Which is most of the games now adays! :D

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Its best to not use a game which has been developed to cater the console crowd! Which is most of the games now adays! :D

That's the problem. MOST games are just that... console-ports. Some just happen to do a better job at porting over to the PC better than others, like Bulletstorm or Dirt 2.

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
That's the problem. MOST games are just that... console-ports. Some just happen to do a better job at porting over to the PC better than others, like Bulletstorm or Dirt 2.

I hear people saying Crysis 2 is a crappy console port, but I find it really fun. It's like Call of Duty, with better graphics and a nanosuit. hahaha

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I hear people saying Crysis 2 is a crappy console port, but I find it really fun. It's like Call of Duty, with better graphics and a nanosuit. hahaha

Well like I said, some console ports are "alright", like Bulletstorm. It words certain things a bit oddly that make it sound like a port, but cranked up, the graphics are gorgeous and it runs great.