AMD Details Upcoming Catalyst Driver Changes

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
During a briefing held last week, AMD took the time to detail some of the major changes coming to its Catalyst driver. Of these, the most interesting might be the fact that the UI is getting a major overhaul, and so far, it looks great. In addition to taking a look at this, we also delve into recent stability claims, and also performance increases.

You can take a look at what's coming to AMD's future Catalyst driver, and then discuss it here!

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Nice. They finally got serious about their hardware and now are getting serious about the software to back it all up. Well done.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Video and setting up a file server with SAMBA to share to other windows based machines with all data already formatted to NTFS... I gave up after 3 days, but things are different now... I would hope...

As for video, bought a whole mass of parts for a new system, wanted to experiment with Linux (3 or 4 years ago...), the install went smooth, as was expected with Ubuntu, live CD worked, installed, finally went to boot into the OS itself, said it will adjust the desktop resolution, poof, black screen... never saw anything from it again. I tried booting into VGA mode, same problem, all I could boot into was terminal... Try and update/install video drivers, as a complete Linux noob, with ONLY the terminal... After 4 days, I never did get it to work, even after numerous formats. It was an ATI 200 series if memory serves, part of the chipset, didn't do my research, just installed Linux as a test. Ended up 'lending' the PC to a friend a few weeks later with XP on it... he's still got it all these years later, go figure.