AMD/ATI acquisition complete

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our news post.

SUNNYVALE, CALIF. - Oct. 25, 2006 - AMD (NYSE:AMD) today announced the completion of its approximately $5.4 billion acquisition of ATI Technologies Inc. Combining the complementary strengths of the two technology leaders, the new AMD opens for business as a processing powerhouse committed to driving innovation, choice and growth in the technology industry. With approximately 15,000 employees, the company merges AMD's technology leadership in microprocessors together with ATI's leadership in graphics, chipsets and consumer electronics.

Time to start looking to the future. We have already seen the possibility of 45nm GPU processors from ATI in 2008, so the benefits to consumers are starting to pop up already.

This also marks the kickoff of "Fusion", the technology of fusing CPU and GPU capabilities onto one processor. At this point, it's hard to assume just how this will be accomplished. Will we still have a video card... without a core? Perhaps, because it is probably feasible. With a GPU and CPU processor melded together though, there is no doubt that it would be a large unit in the end, unless this happens around the 45nm time...

AMD also wasted no time taking ATI.com down, and replacing it with http://ati.amd.com/. If you had any bookmarks saved from various points on the ATI site, you will automatically be routed to the correct page on the new ATI AMD site. One thing the site proves is that AMD will certainly be pushing the green color on ATI down the road, if it plans to keep it's current logos at all. Both the AMD and ATI.amd.com sites are splashed with green, so it may only be a matter of time.

Times are going to get interesting in tech... starting now. You can read the full press release here.

----

Ok, obviously there is lots to discuss now. What's your opinion on things? What do you see for the future? What do you think of Fusion?

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I am excited. I know everyone is focusing on how bad this could possibly be but why not rock the boat every now and then. This honestly excites me. I am more interested in what happens 3-4 years from now. They are obviously going to share their experience now but what about when the work they have done now runs out. I am excited to see what new hardware they can release togeather.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
But after spending all of 2 minutes on the "new" ATI page, the damned green is really annoying. Everyone knows ATI as being red.....RED! Is AMD that insecure that they have to throw green into everything? WATAF!

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Yeah, that website caused my gag relfelx to kick right in. As a long time ATI fanboy, it saddens me to see the red leave, and it is strange that they would choose to green it up since Nvidia has always been the green team of the video world. I just hope they don't completely drop the ATI name. And if they turn the signs on their buildings in Markham Ontarion to green, I will be sure to picket their building. Otherwise, it is a very exciting time in life to see this technology coming to life. If they pull this off and we get a CPU/GPU plus the ability to run another high end video card at the same time, then gaming should be fan-freaking-tastic.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Agreed....minus the picketting. I am not allowed in Canada anymore but thats not really for these forums...