AMD Announces Phenom X6 CPUs and 890FX Chipset

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
AMD has today announced its long-awaited Phenom X6 six-core processor line-up, which at current time includes just two models: 1090T and 1055T. More than just a six-core processor, these "Thuban" models introduce AMD's Turbo CORE feature, which aims to compete with Intel's Turbo. Unlike most of Intel's most recent releases though, AMD can also boast backwards compatibility, as you can install its new six-core CPUs on either an AM2+ or AM3 motherboard (with an appropriate BIOS update of course).

amd_x6_coreshot_042710.jpg

You can read the rest of our post here.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Yay! I can't wait for them to filter down into FS sections for 50%-75% of new pricing. The main selling point of my new mobo was it being six core capable. :)

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Wow, those prices are crazy.... and the overclocking is insane. Those chips are capable of 4GHz stable, which is astounding given it is an AMD processor.

Anand reports his 4GHz 1095T was able to finally able to beat the 975X at stock for 3D encoding. It only required 2 extra cores and an 800MHz clockspeed advantage to do it. :D

samuelson1

Obliviot
It look´s fantastic, ... few days for my Phenom 955 remain... I hope that the prices get better and better!!

Can this CPU get advantage in the older single/double core aplications?

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Not to mention a much lower price.

True, however Intel's Core i7 860 performs comparably to the 1090T in many tests and costs the same. One site by my count had it 7 to 5, not counting the games which Intel all won.

And unfortunately most users still run 1-2 threaded programs, not 6-threaded applications that can fully use a six-core chip. People made this argument against Intel's quads for years, so it feels rather odd to say that against AMD.

The 1090T is real competition though, I agree with that. I'm hoping it provides the impetus required to get Intel aggressive again with their lineup.

Can this CPU get advantage in the older single/double core aplications?

Unfortunately, no. Intel's cores are more powerful clock-for-clock, and Intel's cores will Turbo a single core even higher than if 2 or more cores are boosted. In my opinion, Intel's Core i7 860 would be a better option if you only use 1-2 core capable programs. If as in your case a person already owns the AMD setup then sticking with AMD would be the best option though. :)

Last edited:

radaja

Obliviot
The 1090T is real competition though, I agree with that. I'm hoping it provides the impetus required to get Intel aggressive again with their lineup.
i hope this will make intel release the 970 at a decent price.instead of the rumored $600-$700 price tag.i'm glad though that AMD has finally given Intel some real competition/pressure.this will be good for all of us consumers.