AMD and NVIDIA to Launch New GPU Models Soon

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
When AMD launched its Radeon HD 5800 series of graphics cards last fall, it beat NVIDIA to the DirectX 11 punch by over half a year, and though NVIDIA struck back with cards that out-performed AMD's best this past spring, AMD sure doesn't want that fact to remain for much longer.

nvidia_gtx_480_gtx_470_032610.jpg

You can read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Meh, this is awesome news to read but Im still pleased with the performance of my GTX 260. Oh God, I'm now that guy. What happened to living on the bleeding edge? *shudders

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Oh maan! i just bought an hd5770 two months ago and now the hd6770 is coming next month! this Suux! :(

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
What happened to living on the bleeding edge? *shudders

When inflation changed the units of blood into Vital Organs to stay balanced on the edge, which may continue to increase to that of Pets.

As for AMD releasing the 67XX first... maybe it'll kick the ass of Nvidia's 460 and 470, or perform more in line with AMD's own 5850, possibly 5870. So when Nvidia come out with their own revisions, they can trounce them with the 68XX...... or maybe they really are having some issues.

I think this release was meant to be Southern Islands, rather than Northern, due to staying on a larger manufacturing process. AMD had to create a hybrid of the new architecture and put it on the larger process due to complications of 32 or 28nm. So rather than release the high end chips with cut back abilities due to manufacturing limitations, it's releasing the mainstream on the larger process while sorting out the smaller process for the higher end chips..... Something like that anyway. (I'm terrible with names)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Meh, this is awesome news to read but Im still pleased with the performance of my GTX 260. Oh God, I'm now that guy. What happened to living on the bleeding edge? *shudders

I think it's because 5 or so years ago, there really was an incredible drive to upgrade to the latest and greatest, because the differences were enormous. Today, there's just not such an increase. Well, that's not correct, because there IS, but it's the fact that even hardware two generations ago can still handle current games at high detail settings. You'd have to be powering a huge monitor or really care about things like AA in order to want to upgrade. Or DX11, of course.