Amarok 2 for Windows Pre-Alpha - Now With Sound!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
I began using Linux full-time about eighteen months ago, and since then I've come to enjoy it so much that I've have a very difficult time moving back to Windows if I had to. Oddly enough, one of the reasons is thanks to a single application: Amarok. It might sound odd to be obsessed with an audio player, but Amarok's ease of use and feature-set easily surpasses all others I've used... Linux or not. For those not familiar with the player, you should check out my article for Top 5 Amarok Tips which covers a few of my favorite features and add-ons.

Fanboism aside, I couldn't help but notice a new entry on the Amarok blog that announced a version that's actually functioning on Windows. Though in pre-alpha, it's coming along nicely with many features functioning, including sound. I didn't give it a try myself, but it's great to see another solid open-source offering making it's way to another OS. The final release might be a ways off, but it should be worth it.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
amarok_windows_alpha_120707.jpg

Source: Amarok Blog </td></tr></tbody></table>
The bad news for all those drooling over the prospect of this is that Amarok 2 is still pre-alpha software, and there's a lot more work to do to get it ready for release on any platform, let alone Windows. So for now, unless you're comfortable with a compiler and a debugger, Amarok is still a few months away. Until then, get your fix with screenshots and progress here. World domination will have to wait ... but it will happen!

Source: Amarok Blog