Altec Lansing FX4021

U

Unregistered

Hi, man.

In the case of the FX6021 satellite speakers, they actually _are_ magnetically-shielded. I've got a set in another room where the satellite speakers are right up next to the frame of the CRT monitor on the PC in that room. So there are no concerns with magnetic interference from the FX6021 speakers. The subwoofer, however, isn't magnetically shielded (this is typical), so avoid placing it too close to your PC tower or your monitor.

Thanx for the reply and time to make me understand. So, as i have asked already (only to which u didnt answer :)) 'For a Gamer' what wud u prefer?

1. FX4021
2. FX6021

Thanx!

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
For a gamer, if you've got the money to spend on the FX6021 system, it will be a step up from the FX4021. That said, the FX4021 is a nice sounding system at moderate volumes. The FX6021 is just a much louder system; that is, it's more 'crankable'. If I had to use my incredible powers of ESP, I think you'd be happier with the FX6021. Or, if you want them in black, go for a set of the PT6021 speakers, which are essentially the same thing but with mounting brackets and a better remote.

U

Unregistered

No, the PT6021 wud be too much for me i guess and i dont have the money to buy the FX6021 either :( so i guess it just left with me to buy the FX4021. U said that its a nice system for moderate levels of noise. That is exactly what i want, Should i go for it then?

PS
I dont think i could find PT6021 anyway in Pakistan. Can i?

ThankU for the time and help. It was helpful. Thanx Alot.

U

Unregistered

Speakers decision

Hello,

If someone would be able to help me that would be great. I am having trouble deciding between a few speakers. First off the Altec Lansing FX4021 (180AUD), Logitech Z-2300 (Around 180AUD) too. I really like how the altec lansings look but if it does not perform as well as the z-2300 i will purchase the latter. Also if you have any other speaker recommendations that are around maximum that are not too expensive that would be great.

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
The Z-2300 are 'more' speaker for your money. Go with them for now - they'll perform somewhat better (in terms of clean output) thanks to their 8" subwoofer. However, I think the FX4021 speakers have marginally 'better' (smoother, less 'boomy') bass than the Z-2300.

In your situation, I'd have to give the nod to the Z-2300.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the fast reply taterworks, price is not really the issue here. I am upgrading from stock speakers and I would like to have better sound rather than a bargain. This being said would you recommend the FX4021 over the z-2300?

Also I'll mainly be using the speakers for music(trance+hip-hop) and movies(rips)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If price isn't really an issue, maybe you could considering bumping up to an even better set of speakers. I can't really speak since I'm no audiophile, but at that price range, there might be far superior speakers for not that much more money.

U

Unregistered

Yeh i was also looking at harmon kardon soundsticks, bose companion 3, Klipsch. But I have never been able to hear any of them, I do however have a friend who has a set of these FX4021 and says they have awesome sound. I just wanted to get some extra feedback.

U

Unregistered

Finally! A place where I can get in an informed opinion on a new set of speakers...

I recently blew out my old ones (they were old, they were bought used, and I used them A LOT). So I delved into the internet search engines to try and come up with a good replacement set. After what seemed like hours and hours of wandering, I finally narrowed it down to three sets: Klipsch ProMedia 2.1; Logitech z-2300; and these Altec Lansing FX4021s, which I happened upon last.

I think I've pretty much disregarded the Klipsch set, both because of the price and the problems reportedly associated with them, most notably the low humming/buzzing sound when there's no audio running through them. Could be a shielding problem, but then I read that the on/off switch was behind the bass, and I don't feel like crawling under my desk as I did with my old set.

I love the idea of the control remote, and since I hadn't yet seen the FX4021s, the z-2300s jumped into the lead. I read a great deal of 'excellent' reviews at different PC mags/retail sites, but with all the company shills, I'm less inclined to take them at their word. Still, besides the 'lacking mid-range' issue (which many reported was easily fixed w/ equalizers found standard on standard music playback software), they seemed to be the best of the bunch for my needs.

Then I came across these, and now I'm stuck between the two. The auxiliary input jack plus the extra wireless remote make up for the lack of reviews I found for the Altec Lansings. I know the Logitechs have more power, which is a comforting thought, but I live in an apartment complex and plan to keep my 'good neighbor' record, so I don't need my speakers to blow out my walls (but I also like having the option to ;P). On the occasions that do call for engulfing sound however, I don't want to worry about horrible distortions. I play the occasional fps, RTS, and MMO games, but it's mainly my eclectic collection of music (which includes practically everything but country, hip-hop, and rap) that would flow through my speakers. Great sounding movies would be a plus also.

So basically, which one do you friendly forum users believe I would benefit from most, since I am looking more for a good sounding set as opposed to a powerful one (though it would be nice if the two weren't mutually exclusive)?

Thank in advance,
Rae

K

keyboardmessiah

help with choosing a 2.1 speaker system

hey guys,

so I got a Macbook Laptop and wanted to know which 2.1 speaker system would probably work the best with it, or generally for around $100-130, which 2.1 speaker system would be the best? I am learning more and more about sound, but am inexperienced in this realm and need so me help....

Thanks!

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
Hey, keyboardmessiah,

That's a better topic for a new thread in our Audio forum, since it could bring many other products into the discussion, and we'd like to keep these article discussion threads focused on discussion of the product that was reviewed for the article. However, you've got a great question, that I think deserves some real thought and meaningful discussion. Take a moment and register a forum account, and post your question in a new thread in the 'Audio' forum.

Cheers!

eggz2004

Obliviot
what about the Sound Field Xpander Technology™?

Hey guys.
I would like to know if these speakers do a good job on the "sourround sound".
The thing is i want a system that could emulate virtualy the sourround sound like in the 5.1 systems, so i read that Altec Lansing FX4021 has this Sound Field Xpander Technology™...
Does it really do the job??
Thanks in advance :)

Sorry for my bad english.
Greetings from Portugal!

U

Unregistered

hey everyone. i'm about to purchase the fx4021 but have one question which i can't seem to find the answer. when i purchase them, will i be getting the cable needed to connect it from my laptop to the speakers? my laptop only has one audio-out jack which is where i plug in my headphones. this is the plug i need to use right and the cable i need to connect the comp. and speakers is included???

thanks in advance.

U

Unregistered

Just Awesome

Hello all,

I just replaced my aging Boston Acoustics MicroMedia 2.1 system with the Altec Lansing FX4021. The Boston's were good, I thought, boy was I wrong. This Altec Lansing FX4021 just rocks. They vibrate the whole house. Considerably louder than the Boston. I got a good deal too. $105 delivered to the house from bpav.com. I handed down the Boston to the kids, so everybody wins.

U

Unregistered

Hi,

I'm in dire need of a 2.1 system to my TV. I had pretty much decided on the FX4021 but then I saw that the Altec Lansing FX5021 costs about the same. And now I'm having a real hard time to decide which to get. :p

So if you had to pick one of them, which would it be?

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
I'd pick the MX5021 system, if they were still available. These speakers were THX-certified, and sounded quite good. However, Altec Lansing hasn't made these speakers for a year or two now, so unless you can find a set on eBay, you might not meet with success.

Also, to the previous poster -- the bass is the strong point of these speakers, surprisingly clean and deep for a system at this price point. I'm glad you're satisfied.

U

Unregistered

I'd pick the MX5021 system, if they were still available. These speakers were THX-certified, and sounded quite good. However, Altec Lansing hasn't made these speakers for a year or two now, so unless you can find a set on eBay, you might not meet with success.

Thanks for your advice.
Getting a hold of a pair won't be so hard. I live in Sweden and there is quite a few online stores that still have them in stock. :)

M

MaoDi

what?

Hi,

I'm in dire need of a 2.1 system to my TV. I had pretty much decided on the FX4021 but then I saw that the Altec Lansing FX5021 costs about the same. And now I'm having a real hard time to decide which to get. :p

So if you had to pick one of them, which would it be?

sorry but, did you mean the mx5021? if you did, than definitely the mx5021 if you can get it around the same price. But the Fx4021 is definitely a AMAZING speaker system. just that the Mx5021 is better, and used to be A LOT more expensive than the retail of the current fx4021.