Altec Lansing FX3020 SoundBar

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Altec Lansing grabbed some attention at the 2007 CES with their PT7031 and PT8051 'Powered Theater' speakers, which created a virtual surround sound field around the listener. Their new FX3020 SoundBar features a similar concept – but does it deliver?

You can read Rory's full review here and discuss it here.

M

MaoDi

Ipod?

CONNECTED WITH I-POD, BAD SOUND

Ipod's suck, their out is not properly amped, any music going into a speaker system from an ipod would sound terrible. get yourself a proper mp3 player like a creative zen and talk again. And it also might sound bad due to the fact that the fx3020 soundbar isn't heavily aped either.

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
In my review, I did note the FX3020 SoundBar to posess a dynamically-compressed sound that wasn't particularly engaging. However, something similar could be said of most two-piece PC speakers, which are what the SoundBar is meant to compete with. At the very least, the SoundBar an interesting example of what can be accomplished with DSP to 'virtually' shift the apparent source of sounds and create the impression of stereo ambience, but at the end of the day the SoundBar was meant to save desk space, not to challenge more expensive sound systems in sound quality.

P

Paul in LA

Thanks

Your review was excellent and helped me with my buying decision. Thanks for your opinion on this item!

FMaz008

Obliviot
Removing the rack

Hi ! Thanks for the nice review !

I still have a question:

I have a vertical free space of only 8cm. On the review picture, I've seen the screws. Is it possible to remove the Rack ?

If so:
- How high the speaker become ?
- Does putting the unit directly on the floor block some air trap or something ?
- Does the unit look great even without the rack ?

Thanks alot ! :)

kevin

Obliviot
Hello! i was reading your 2007 article on the altec lansing fx3020 soundbar and wondering if i could use it as a "center channel speaker". there's a deal on ebay for one of these way under 100bucks which is what the cheapest price is for a discrete center channel. i need the speaker to pick up on vocals. any thoughts? thanks

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Hey Kevin. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, but I'm a little surprised that there aren't better alternatives available for the price?

Rob ought to know as he's more of a sound guy, I'll make sure he spots your post. :)