All about Sleeping Dogs

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Darksiders II install is 5.46GB.

Sleeping Dogs is good if you are into the whole over-the-shoulder open world type game, which I am. I just love being able to explore unknown cities, finding cool things all around (and in this game, a ton of collectibles), and plus it's based in Asia, when draws me in even more. The game is also quite graphically-intensive, would probably make a good game to benchmark.

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Hmmm.... Why did they compress the PC version so much? Lames....

EDIT: Also, a really harsh user review of Sleeping Dogs:

"Absolute garbage, ignore fanboys calling this crap better than other sandboxes. It seems like it was made last gen. The combat sucks, you can literally one shot everyone by throwing them into obstacles. The graphics are subpar, the AI is terrible, the driving also terrible. The AI is so terrible that if you're being chased by a cop the police will drive infront of you and literally stay there driving beside you doing nothing until you stop. Police will only fight you one at a time. Physics in the game is non existent, you hit people with cars they fly over and land flat on the ground the exact same. Don't get me started on the mediocre vehicle damage. You could be driving full speed and hit a car and leave little to no damage to the car. The driving is wonky and arcadey, nothing like GTA IV....so you're basicaly going full speed and able to turn sharp corners like that LOL. The dialogue is horrendous, the world is bland, it tries so hard to compete with contemporaries but fails on all measures. This game has done nothing that other sandboxes haven't already done, and better. Save your money and wait for V."

This is what I meant when I said it looks meh. GTA did it right and then others attempt to copy them but don't do it very well.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The graphics are sub-par???

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=90730277

I beg to differ. As for the combat, you can in fact one-shot kill some people if a certain obstacle is near. But success in that assumes A) there's such an obstacle around and B) you aren't being ganged-up on. If five guys are inching towards you, you are not going to have much luck grabbing someone to do an obstacle kill. I've actually found battles so far to be difficult... like someone's cranked the difficulty level sky-high.

AI: Doesn't seem terrible at this point, but I'm just 3 hours in.

Driving: It's awesome for a game like this. He compares GTA IV which I found to have piss-poor driving. And it -is- arcadey, it's been known for a while that some Need for Speed developers are on the Sleeping Dogs dev team, so it makes sense. Compared to GTA IV, I love the driving here.

Quite honestly, I think whoever wrote that is just a major GTA IV fanboi and is unwilling to accept the fact that open-world games do not have to be direct GTA IV clones.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
GTA IV's driving is more realistic. I tend to prefer that over the arcade, but for some reason it just feels a little refreshing in this game. I can understand it not being for everyone, though.

Still been geeking out to it; plan to have a review for it on Fri.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well you know, the more I think about it, the more I do have a slight beef with the driving. It's mainly because of my bike at this point, which is an exercise in patience to turn around. I still like the arcadey feel, but I read some other opinions online and tend to agree with them. Wrapping up something here so I'll experiment more tonight.

Also, either I truly suck, or the game is difficult:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoZB8D77tmU

I did well the first time (but note this was like the 10th attempt), but in the second-half I lost like 95% of my health from three quick hits. And even worse, sometimes it feels like the buttons in my controller just die, where I can't attack... I just stand there. Read around and apparently I am not alone there either.

Depressing factors but I am a sucker for games like this, and it taking place in HK just makes it oh-so-sweet for me. So much eye candy.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Since there was so much chatter about Sleeping Dogs in the Darksiders II thread, I moved it here ;-)