Alert Against Phishers

phonywish

Obliviot
Last edited:
How often or how likely would this happen? I know there are a lot of fake emails from people pretending to be companies trying to scam money. How likely would it happen to a standard site or would it be focused toward bigger companies sites?

phonywish

Obliviot
Angela Miller said:
How often or how likely would this happen? I know there are a lot of fake emails from people pretending to be companies trying to scam money. How likely would it happen to a standard site or would it be focused toward bigger companies sites?

I would say that its very likely if you run a website that takes money. Any sort of website that deals with selling items would be a prime example. A hacker gains access to a list of customers, he then creates a copycat website and sends an email to every name on your customer list telling them to update their account information and he points them to the fake website.

One time I made the mistake of listing my email address on an ebay auction, and ever since then I keep getting emails that tell me to "update my account information on ebay" and to go to such and such a website to do it. Always a fake website. I get around 3 emails per month that are phishing attempts. I would call this pretty common.

supramax

Obliviot
This alert system could be very useful for copyright protection. Anytime an exact copy of your homepage is made, you get alerted. You then can contact them and demand they remove the copy due to copyright infringement.

gliffy

Obliviot
The phishing alert does not look very useful. Only webmasters for banks or financial institutions could really use it.