Alan Wake will no longer be coming to the PC

crowTrobot

E.M.I.
It was previously thought that the PC version of Alan Wake would be worked on after the release of its Xbox 360 version in May, but Microsoft has shattered hopes by confirming to Strategy Informer that Alan Wake will no longer be coming to PC.

"Some games are more suited for the intimacy of the PC, and others are best played from the couch in front of a larger TV screen. We ultimately realised that the most compelling way to experience "Alan Wake" was on the Xbox 360 platform, so we focused on making it an Xbox 360 exclusive. Both Microsoft and Remedy have long histories in PC game development. This decision was about matching this specific game to the right platform." said a Microsoft spokesperson.

In july last year Markus Maki, head of development, said that they're focusing all their efforts on the 360 version, but will be making comments in regards to the PC at a later date. Although it now looks like this is confirmed as an Xbox 360 exclusive.

source: http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/6978/microsoft-alan-wake-will-no-longer-be-coming-to-the-pc

Boo-urns. Although, It doesn't really matter anymore, with all the hype and the delays surrounding this game I have lost interest already.

evilives34

Obliviot
"We ultimately realised that way to make the most money was to experience "Alan Wake" was on the Xbox 360 platform"

there i fixed for mircosoft

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Wow! This bugs me... given that Alan Wake was supposed to be one of those games to push the PC hard. Heck, even PCMark Vantage uses an Alan Wake test, and here it's no longer even going to be seen on the PC. This blows. Honestly, how hard would it be to release it on the PC as well? This decision makes no sense.

Altrus

Coastermaker
"best played from the couch in front of a larger TV screen"

......I can do this with my comp....I even have a controller so that doesn't change anything....ok so I don't have a couch by my comp, but neither do I have one by my PS3((I don't have a 360))

Plus, my whole No-FPSs-or-TPS-on-Consoles policy. Basically anything with aiming I don't do without a mouse.....RTSs also.....

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
The sense is that they don't want to devote any resources away from the console development. Based on earlier comments by the Alan Wake team they don't want to contend with piracy, and will make far more from their console games then they would for a PC release. For awhile they said they would make a PC version if they had time, but they apparently don't and will stick to consoles now.

killem2

Coastermaker
These companies should be careful. They keep pushing more and more things to console exclusive, its going to force these hard core pirates into going full blown emulation. I know it isn't easy but given the will power and drive, it could done and start using the pc to run some of these "console games"

PC gaming has been the dog that gets beat, and has had its nose rubbed in shit, it'll be only too soon before that dog lashes out.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
These companies should be careful. They keep pushing more and more things to console exclusive, its going to force these hard core pirates into going full blown emulation. I know it isn't easy but given the will power and drive, it could done and start using the pc to run some of these "console games"

PC gaming has been the dog that gets beat, and has had its nose rubbed in shit, it'll be only too soon before that dog lashes out.

I'm sure it will happen, but I honestly wonder if more people pirate the game and emulate it on the PC, or if the majority of pirates simply use a modded console. Microsoft banned a few million Xbox 360 user accounts because of modded consoles a few months back, and there are plenty of sites that will eagerly sell you mod chips or mod your console for you for a fee.

Envy

Obliviot
The only reason any game is not released on the PC is because M$ wants to make more money, the devs are console fanboys (which I have only seen on example of: Google Zombie MMO), or they are partnered with Sony.