After 12 Years of Business, Danger Den is Closing Down

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
In a bit of disappointing news for water-cooling enthusiasts everywhere, Danger Den, a company with 12 years of experience in the industry, has decided to close shop. As the company has long been considered to be one of the best out there for WC offerings, be it for radiators, blocks or other accessories, this shuttering is sure to come as a shock to many.

danger_den_logo_110212.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Last edited:

Big Red Machine

Hellfire and Brimstone
Staff member
That's pretty sad. A big reminder of today's harsh economic reality.

On the plus side (selfishly), I took advantage of the sale they're going out with. Got myself a Danger Den Torture Rack and some tubing for really cheap. Get 'em while supplies last, kids!

madmat

Soup Nazi
I just looked on the DD site and there's bupkis left. Some tubing is about it. I'm guessing the retailers snapped it all up and are selling it at full price.

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Meh not surprised. The blocks were ugly as hell. Too bad though less choice.

EDIT: Thanks for the link though, grabbed a tube cutter a few tailed LEDs a few vandal switches and a T thing. Too bad I wasn't earlier, all the Res' are gone and I would have LOVED the rad mounted one.

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Just as a heads up (linked Rob to it belatedly) this recent and sudden closure is due to a family loss... The guy behind DD lost his wife abruptly around Halloween... she also was part owner and bookkeeper for the company. It looks like Danger Den just wants to move on in life now and I wish him well in his future endeavors. :(

madmat

Soup Nazi
While I regret the loss of his wife, it sounds more like an excuse than a reason. If DD was a profitable company and he wanted to walk away he'd simply sell out and move on. If he's closing up shop rather than selling the business I'm betting that it was already in trouble and losing his wife was just the last straw.

Either way it's a tragic loss.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
It's always possible, but I still don't find it likely. DD has had a history of design wins with major GPU makers for their premium watercooled model cards, and I'd easily rate them ahead of Swiftech in the overall market. I wasn't around for their earliest stuff, but people still seem to love the old DD maze block design along with their other stuff.... something I don't see nearly as much with Swiftech and its Apogee blocks (which I own, and have seen a dizzying number of iterations of).

The PC market has been shrinking for some time though, and will only continue to shrink as time goes on. Unless the business was hugely profitable it would be reasonable to get out before DD's market became unprofitable, as there are plenty of competitors that have sprung up over the last six years. I think it is likely this event was just the spurring factor that made now the best time to do so.