AeroRacer Chassis Delivers Maximum Airflow with 400mm Fan

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
I'm one of the furthest things from being a 'chassis guy', but once in a while a news item will hit my inbox that actually makes me stop to look. When I saw the words "400mm side panel fan"... you bet I had to investigate. Such a chassis comes from a company called AeroCool, the model being AeroRacer. The chassis' main benefit is of course to provide insane airflow, and with a fan like that, who would doubt it?

AeroRacer is undoubtedly one of the most unappealing-looking cases out there, but it's not meant to be pretty. It's meant to be functional, and cool the heck out of your components. The 400mm fan is so large, that it takes up almost the entire side panel, so while it should provide great airflow, it's also sure to be a conversation starter as well.

aerocool_chassis_091008.jpg

Given that the fan itself is so large, you'd imagine that it'd be slow, and you'd be right. It runs at a constant 400RPM and is extremely quiet at 12 dBA. Despite the slow speed, it still manages to push air through the chassis at 250 CFM. So if you need the ultimate airflow scheme for your next chassis, look no further. I'm still debating on whether a standard chassis with an ordinary house fan would look better though...

Source: AeroCool AeroRacer Product Page

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
What the heck... I got a really good chuckle out of this one!

Once upon a time I'd have been estatic about a case like this. But these days I've learned that it isn't the sheer quantity of airflow that matters, in fact to much airflow can lead to worse cooling performance instead of better.

But regardless, the point is moot. 1 120mm front intake, 1 120mm rear exhaust, and now a 400mm sidepanel instake fan? 250CFM isn't huge, but a PSU and GPU fan aren't going to come close to that, regardless if you reverse the front panel fan. This case is going to have some huge airflow and positive pressure problems.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You are no doubt correct, but I'm sure all sites who take a look at the chassis will overlook the fact. Even still, if there is enough pressure built up, it might just be even more fun to use. 'Splosions anyone?

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Hmm, perhaps if you overvolt that 400mm fan just a little to give it some oomph...

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
That would be true. 250 cfm out and should be 250 cfm in for a good air flow, but this is only air in.......you wonder where it would all go.
So, what is a good test to make sure you dont have a positive pressure?

Merlin

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
You're darn right more power! :D

Besides, you mentioned something about explosions I believe... ;)