Adobe Releases Photoshop CS6 Public Beta

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hot on the heels of its Lightroom 4.0 launch, Adobe has released the first public beta of Photoshop CS6. As expected, there are many features coming to CS6, though only a few are documented by Adobe at this time. "Content-Aware Patch" seems to be the most talked-about, a major update to Content-Aware first introduced in CS4. In CS6, you can draw around an area that you'd like to move, move it, and then have Content-Aware perform the change and fill in the blanks.

adobe_photoshop_cs6_beta_032212.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
People were ripping into this in another forum, apparently there's not much new except for some niche features. And why would they tout video editing support, when Adobe already sells Premiere and After Effects packages that specifically target and were optimized for video editing?

Brett Thomas

Senior Editor
People were ripping into this in another forum, apparently there's not much new except for some niche features. And why would they tout video editing support, when Adobe already sells Premiere and After Effects packages that specifically target and were optimized for video editing?

I was actually wondering that myself...it's an odd fit, to be sure. But a big reason would be for the professional photog market. Most of our high-end SLR cameras can now do video (much to my misery) but photogs have already paid the $700 asking price for PS - asking for a full video suite like Premiere or AfterEffects is brutal for those who use it less frequently.

However, to me, this dilutes the bloodlines. Call me a purist, but photography should be photography and videography be its own separate animal. It's more options I don't need or want and gets in the way of my doing proper photo editing.

(I wouldn't be surprised if Adobe is trying to start courting the Prosumer market a little more with an "all in one" package vs. the crappier programs that can be had for $100-300 that don't do photos all that well and don't do video at all)

Side note, I completely understand these features in Lightroom, where its primary purpose is to organize and catalog a shoot that may contain video. But putting the edit tools in PS? Grrrrr.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Honestly, this is the way Adobe works. It releases the Creative SUITE, not just a single application, and which app gets new features and which gets the polish. PS got a lot of decent changes and features in CS5, so I'm not surprised the changes are minimal on the surface. There will probably be a lot of hidden tweaks though, like an extra tick box here, some stability changes there, just no major outstanding new features. Those will appear in other products in the suite.

If you want to look at minimal changes, just look at Illustrator. The biggest update in CS4 was the ability to use a scroll wheel in the layers palate... yes, really. CS5 added perspective drawing, which was cool, it's just it was extremely cumbersome and hard to use. Maybe in CS6, it'll actually work.

In all honesty though, the last 4 years of CS development has gone into Premier and adjoining apps (Encore, After Effect, etc), for Video editing. InDesign got some Tweaks here and there, CS5.5 saw expanded support for ebook readers (woohoo...). PS got the content aware fill, which sorta works, and the puppet morphing tool which is an expanded form of liquify. Premier on the other hand got a completely new engine, hardware acceleration with real-time effects engine. Lots of enhanced post-processing filters, etc. Flash got.... I have no idea, some action script features that had a bunch of programmers all excited maybe?

Anyway, point is, it's a phase thing. Not every version will be a breakthrough over the previous. Most people skip a generation anyway. Those going from CS4 to CS6 might notice some big changes. Everybody else doesn't even know how to use a quarter of the application anyway...

Still, Camera RAW is an awesome piece of software, and I'm glad it's part of PS, instead of being tied to Lightroom. I do find myself spending a lot of time in RAW, correcting photos. Non-destructive editing is one of those things that I'm glad Adobe is concentrating on, even if just means porting over existing functions like shadow/highlight.

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Some good points made there. Not having to buy another uber expensive software suite is a good thing.

But as I recall CS5.5 was a very minor update, and CS4 to CS5 didn't bring that much either other than making GPU acceleration "official", since CS4 already had the feature which could be enabled or disabled in the settings menu. They include some amazing tools with each major release, but they're still niche tools that only a subset of users can employ. Maybe I'm just expecting too much given the asking price. (I actually mean photoshop, but I'm too used to calling it CS-whatever to fix this!)

As for Lightroom 4... I just hope they finally added quad-core support. I would just LOVE to be able to use the program for disk benchmarking and have it utilize more than two threads when importing or converting a large number of photos.

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
Still, Camera RAW is an awesome piece of software, and I'm glad it's part of PS, instead of being tied to Lightroom.

Well it would be kind of retarded to have been just a part of Lightroom. It would mean severing a feature out of Photoshop that had existed for several versions just to sell another product. Sadly I found out I spent so much time working on a file that ended up looking nearly as good as the preset curves in the Nikon software. Now ViewNX does not provide you with much of anything but as long as the correction is not extreme or we are not trying to recover data that is otherwise blown out I like to use ViewNX to do the initial white balance and run that off to a 16 bit tiff. If its extreme Camera Raw into Photoshop. Working with any camera I do not have the minimal factory converter for I of course use Camera Raw and typically would anyways. My step mother is the Photoshop user in the house.

Lightroom is on my list because I can not afford Photoshop but PSPX2 and it would be nice to have a powerful RAW tool available to me on a regular and legitimate basis. While I can come up with some presets that work well to produce what Nikon is doing to the files I still hold some hesitation to buy into anything because I really like what I see to begin with. I would have added Bibble Pro to the list... but it seems Corel bought that up. Thats probably good news since I am a PSP user normally. They have been working on the RAW import little by little but I still refuse to use it.

Adobe's Production Premium Suite is something I eye towards the future. Great value and it has everything I need. As you say the updates are usually not all that eventful. Once in awhile a great new feature comes along that makes it worth updating. Adobe seems to have decided to take action against waiting too long for an upgrade though. CS4 is the minimum for upgrading to 5.5 isn't it? I have noticed most of the applications have a little bit of each others functionality. Photoshop takes a bit from illustrator and not enough I might add. Premiere Pro has a little bit from After Effects and vice versa. But they are always careful to give just enough to get some sort of work done but so little as to sell you the next application you need.

I downloaded the beta but I didn't even bother installing.

Last edited:

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Nah, Photoshop and AI are nothing alike, barely share any features at all. While it may appear for example that PS can use vectored shapes - look at the layers panel and you'll find it's just a layer mask - it's still pixels. PS can open AI files and raster them, and AI can open PS files for various elements; but the 2 behave very different. Use the pen tool in PS, then use it in AI, and the two have very different feature sets. Try and use Flash for vector work and it behaves very different to AI too, and Flash actually has a vector engine.

While I like the idea of a universal tool, the feature sets between AI and PS would conflict with their tools, so they have to be kept separate. Want to look at feature overload? Look at something like Maya, switching between different tool modes each time you want to add an object or modify.

For upgrade paths, goto Adobe's site and it lists the costs, but yes, you can still get a discount (albeit small) from CS4, any earlier and it's pretty much full price.

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
I am not sure where the confusion lies but I tried to say that they are NOT universal tools by any means. I think you covered every element of the point though.

Despite the fact that its used for it Photoshop is not meant to be an all in one graphic design tool. They do give you enough tools to do something but not enough to do anything. They make you buy Ai. How often do you use a vector in strictly post processing wedding photography, extremely smooth selection masks?

The basic function of the pen is the same if you ask me. I just opened Ai. Lay down an anchor lay down the next anchor and hold while you set a curve. Keep on flowing until this car is traced. The thing that is HUGELY limiting in Photoshop is the ability to do do connecting shapes, cut up shapes etc. Everything you ever needed to do a complex vector really exists in Ai only. Yes the Pen tool has alot more functionality in Ai but the basic element that exists in Photoshop is right here in Ai? I dont know. If i need to cut up a "vector" from Photoshop i just paste it into Ai. If I need to draw something complex I do it in Ai and i paste it in unrasterized. I separate each section into separate shape layers from the original. Give the layer a color, make some path selections and stroke those paths.

Looks like Photoshop does list that part of the layer as a vector mask? While I have to draw things in Ai in the end Photoshop can scale this losslessly can it not? I always import it as a shape layer and usually by pasting. I have yet to use Ai to colorize or stroke vectors. Though colored stroke and fill are very normal tasks I have little control over it once it leaves Ai prefer to do it where all the editing is being done.

Here is an example of the work I have to go into Ai to draw and then use Ps to to actually turn into something:

The only part of this that is permanently rasterized until the file is merged into one layer or exported is the outline on the clapper and the outline around the 3 letters. Text is converted to shape layers as well so that anyone without the font can still scale the vector and all they have to do is redo the stroke layer.

You would never get by on After Effects alone either. They give you access to Adobe Media Encoder to export with and they give you nearly the ability to organize a sequence but you still need Premiere Pro for Videography work in the end.

For video editing on the cheap I gave Premiere elements a spin recently but like all of Adobe's stripped down versions they do not appear to desire to compete with other solutions at that level. When they removed the ability to resize by pixel count in Photoshop Elements (what was it 6 or 7?) my head exploded. I am probably going to be buying Sony Vegas soon to do my video editing. It leaves me without the functionality of something like After Effects but its a matter of affordability. Need something for the basic day to day.

Last edited:

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
The basics of the 2 pen tools are similar, but with a few differences. In AI, the CTRL modifier key behaves differently based on whether direct or path selection was previously enabled (White or black arrow tool). In PS, it's fixed to direct.

Another key difference is that in PS, when you place an anchor, it can not be changed until you release then ctrl+drag to move it. In AI, when you create an anchor, but in the wrong place, with mouse still held down you can hold the space-bar to move the anchor (very useful since if you are trying to line up a curve, you can move the anchor while lining up the handles).

In terms of features, things like fills and strokes are all rastered in PS. If you change a path, you have to redraw the stroke. This is what I meant by different feature sets, but I guess this is more to do with vectors in general than the pen tool specifically. But as I said, there are subtle differences to the way you can use the same tool. There are more, but I don't use them on a regular basis so can't remember.

When importing an AI file into PS, you're limited to either raster the entire image; raster parts of the image into layers; or import as a smart object. Don't really get any more control than that. You can take paths from PS into AI, but it's a lot more difficult the other way (and keep them editable, after any strokes and such have been applied). The smart object is what you'd want, since then it will scale infinitely and can even have non-destructive transformations applied to it. Would work well with your image above.

I didn't mean to say the tools were universal, I mean that it wouldn't be a good idea to have them universal, it would inflate the feature set and you'd end up with something like Maya. Would I like some additional vector editing features in PS, sure, but they're not really required. But in all honesty, Adobe has brought PS and AI very close together, even allowing AI to work to a raster grid. Over the last few versions, they've made it a lot easier to import from AI into PS; before, you were purely limited to raster only import. Now the two can share paths.

Edit: - Should make mention, I actually use the pen tool in PS extensively when editing pictures for this site. Mainly my own though. I use it to make complex selections since I find the usual selection tools 'fuzzy' and imprecise. Not to mention, if you screw up half way through a polygonal selection, you can lose the entire selection and have to start again. Also, paths are automatically saved to the path panel while you edit them - don't need to create a custom selection save. But this is all personal preference. I'm comfortable using vectors, so I use them a lot. The problem comes with PS's nature to default to compound paths, which is actually useful for cutouts, but if you have two overlapping paths in the same path layer, PS goes all funny - just have to keep different object selections on different path layers.

Last edited:

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
While I was working on one of these car vectors I decided to see what would happen if you tried to open an Ai file in Ps. LOL PDF import thats laughable. Pasting in the 4 options are Smart Object, Pixels, Path and Shape Layer. I find Ai's default in app paste annoying, I almost always want to paste in place but that is not default. Just noticed the ability to duplicate a layer like in Photoshop doesn't seem to be there.

Strokes have to be done on raster layers, strokes are an after effect on the vectors original path not part of it. You of course know this just saying I would never send an object back to Ai at that point. Any operations that have to be on raster layers are usually part of making the final image not the start of it. I get you and of course I am not trained in any of this anyways its just one of those things I have to use once in awhile. As I was talking to Brett I am not an artist but I have some minor talent my hobbys involve doing a little of everything so it requires that sort of work or relying on someone else to do it.

When is this beta up? I am afraid I will be working on stuff so long that I don't want to put this on a production machine and no real point in stuffing it on my old laptop.