Acer Acquires Gateway

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our news:
Computer companies purchasing computer companies seems to be the new fad, and Acer wanted a big part. Today they announced the acquisition of Gateway, for approximately $710 million. What this accomplishes for Acer is that it puts them in the #3 spot for largest PC company in the world, amounts to $15 billion in revenues and one that will ship excess of 20 million PC units per year. How this will effect Gateway in the future is yet to be seen, but Acer is doing something right, as they've been increasingly popular over the past year.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
acer_large_news_logo.jpg
</td></tr></tbody></table>
"This strategic transaction is an important milestone in Acer’s long history" said J.T. Wang, Chairman of Acer. "The acquisition of Gateway and its strong brand immediately completes Acer’s global footprint, by strengthening our US presence. This will be an excellent addition to Acer’s already strong positions in Europe and Asia. Upon acquiring Gateway, we will further solidify our position as number three PC vendor globally."

Source: Acer Website

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
The first and only notebook I have ever purchased was an Acer. It wasn't one month after my warranty expired that it decided to die. I still hate Acer for that. For what it's worth though, it was a great notebook up until the time of it's death.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I know of four people who've owned Acer laptops, and every single person has had issues. My friends girlfriend had hers in for repairs three weeks after she purchased it (no lie, I was there to go pick it up).