A Typical Government Computer Manager

discharge

Obliviot
If that happened to me, I would of told the guy to go ahead and call the FBI. You could now sue that city official for malicious prosecution.

xstatic

Obliviot
izzie said:
Read this and you will fall down laughing: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/03/24/tuttle_centos/

Gives you an idea of what kind of people they hire for a typical government computer manager.

I almost fell out of my chair from laughing so hard when I read that article.

It boogles the mind how incompetent some government workers can be, and its pretty sad that they are an example of the type of people working for the government.

Pha1lure

Obliviot
"I am computer literate! I have 22 years in computer systems engineering and operation."

Some people are just plain stupid.

phonywish

Obliviot
Pha1lure said:
"I am computer literate! I have 22 years in computer systems engineering and operation."

Some people are just plain stupid.

22 years in computer systems engineering and operation and the guy never used Linux?

After making a total fool of himself, why does he still have a job?

Fr00zen

Obliviot
The CENT OS web site has the full transcript of what went on, you should read the full transcript. Hilarious.

I do not know if I could of been as calm as the webmaser at CENT OS when dealing with this situation.

BLuKnight

Obliviot
Fr00zen said:
The CENT OS web site has the full transcript of what went on, you should read the full transcript. Hilarious.

I do not know if I could of been as calm as the webmaser at CENT OS when dealing with this situation.

No doubt this will be helpful to CENT OS. The is free publicity and CENT OS is painted really good in the light.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
More power to CENT OS. That guy is a lot more patient than I could even have hoped to be. That is absurd.

supramax

Obliviot
You can't buy publicity like this. Thanks to that fool of a government worker, they probably got millions of page hits. Ought to do them some good and maybe encourage more people to try Linux. CENT OS is one of the better Linux distributions.

madmat

Soup Nazi
phonywish said:
22 years in computer systems engineering and operation and the guy never used Linux?

After making a total fool of himself, why does he still have a job?

He's a typical government bureaucrat. He was likely voted into office and will remain there until a slicker version of himself comes along and unseats him or he dies. Whichever comes first.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
madmat said:
He's a typical government bureaucrat. He was likely voted into office and will remain there until a slicker version of himself comes along and unseats him or he dies. Whichever comes first.

lol.

How true. How sad...

xstatic

Obliviot
Rob Williams said:
For all who care... this site is hosted on Cent OS.

Is there a reason why Cent OS and not a different Linux distribution? Anything make Cent OS a more powerful choice for running a website then the other possible choices?

Fr00zen

Obliviot
xstatic said:
Is there a reason why Cent OS and not a different Linux distribution? Anything make Cent OS a more powerful choice for running a website then the other possible choices?

CENT-OS is based off of redhat and is geared towards the enterprise user. It's the best choice for a free enterprise class linux.

discharge

Obliviot
Angela Miller said:
How stupid can people be? I mean that is totally retarded.

No kidding.

The trick is to use their stupidity to your advantage. By letting them rage on and then using it to make a profit. I'm sure the cent os webmaster had that in mind when he acted as he did, and tryed to get the most benefit out of it. No coincidence that he responded calmly, then posted the whole incident to his web site. He was smart and took advantage of the guys stupidity.

skyrise

Obliviot
discharge said:
No kidding.

The trick is to use their stupidity to your advantage. By letting them rage on and then using it to make a profit. I'm sure the cent os webmaster had that in mind when he acted as he did, and tryed to get the most benefit out of it. No coincidence that he responded calmly, then posted the whole incident to his web site. He was smart and took advantage of the guys stupidity.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if it happened to Techgage? A big mouthed government employee harrasses Techgage and you get a lot of free publicity when all is said and done?

I have found one thing to be infallibly true, after many years.

When the first statement out of a person's mouth is "I know computers, I've been an IT/Developer/Systems Designer/Etc for XX years", they actually have no clue.

I recently had a guy arguing with me on a game forum that I provide tech support for. This moron claimed that he was a 30 year IT vet (um.....ok) and couldn't figure out why the MMORPG he was playing would only hit 30fps. I explained that the game was hard-coded with a 30fps cap, in order to lighten the load on the servers (i.e. no wait time like WoW).

He argued that he had a 6800GT video card, and that there was no reason HE should be capped. He also had 4gb of RAM, which should increase his FPS exponentialy *sp* but did not. Again, I explained that the MMORPG in question was hard-capped at 30fps. It also only uses 70% of your total system RAM, up to 1gb (so a max of 700mb at full settings, never any more).

I could keep going, but let's just say this guy's "edumacated" thread went on for 4 pages, before the developers banned him for being an idiot.