A Quick Look at Our NAS Test Suite; Critique is Welcomed!

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
After quite a long NAS drought, we're soon to publish our look at Thecus' N4200 four-bay offering, which up to this point in our testing is looking good. The last time we published some NAS content, it came courtesy of our networking-guru Greg King, when he looked at Synology's DS209+. That was over two-years-ago, so to say we're a bit overdue for more NAS content would be an understatement.

thecus_n4200_01_thumb.jpg

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
How do you plan to copy the files? If you are on a windows box, I recommend robocopy. It's a Windows tool and it gives you accurate timings on the transfers. I do not care for drag and drop moving/copying.

On Linux, whatever is comparable to robocopy. No clue.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
How do you plan to copy the files? If you are on a windows box, I recommend robocopy. It's a Windows tool and it gives you accurate timings on the transfers. I do not care for drag and drop moving/copying.

On Linux, whatever is comparable to robocopy. No clue.

As I mentioned in the post, because benchmarking will be performed via my personal PC, I'd like to perform most of the testing via Linux, aside from the application tests which of course require Windows. After some quick tests, though, I seem to have some I/O issue (namely, I am getting much slower I/O than I should be... not network-wise but SATA-wise), so I need to get to the bottom of that first.

If I can't, and do end up using Windows, I'll for sure use robocopy since it's able to keep track of the transfer time.