A Look at the NVIDIA Tesla-infused Titan Supercomputer

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
This past June, IBM's Sequoia supercomputer took over the #1 spot for being the fastest in the world, but soon, the folks at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory hope to replace it. Their weapon? Titan, a supercomputer featuring 18,688 CPUs and GPUs. We take a look at why ORNL went with this design, its benefits, and of course, its capabilities.

Read through our look at the Titan supercomputer, and then discuss it here!

marfig

No ROM battery
I confess i'm not an enthusiast for supercomputers. I'm not a pitiful person. It's just that the concept of pilling stuff on top of stuff to make it taller doesn't appeal to me. I'm more into such things as the minute developments in processor speed, hard drive seek times, energy savings or heat reduction.

That said there's two things I loved when reading this article. The Titan as an exclusive service to the scientific community, was one. Another was the seemingly higher than normal average age of those involved in its construction. Kudos to both.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm not what I would consider a supercomputer enthusiast, but I do like to keep on top of developments a little bit to see where they're going. The amount of performance these things push is just mind-blowing, and I agree with you, the fact that not just not one organization can take advantage of Titan's power is huge.

Big Red Machine

Hellfire and Brimstone
Staff member
I think everyone has forgotten to ask that most essential of questions:

Can it play Crysis?

*goes back to his hiding place...