A Look at Steam's Latest Hardware & Software Survey

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Like clockwork, Valve has once again updated the Steam "Hardware & Software Survey", its useful report on the hardware and software gamers are equipped with. It's been a couple of months since I last checked things out, and I'm a bit surprised at a couple of trends, and also the addition of a couple of new categories.

Read the rest of our post and discuss it here!

Last edited:

eunoia

Partition Master
Fixed link.

The data fit my expectations very well. I think the trend will shift back slightly towards nVidia (specifically the GTX460) and the drift from 4 to 6 cores will be a lot more gradual.

I just added 3-4 games to my Steam account which my compy can't even play, but I'll be going from a POS with XP to a (probably) i7 950 - GTX460 - WIN7/64 setup rather soon. I have the early adopters of hex core CPUs to thank for the price drop on the i7 950.

Too bad for AMD because their hardware would be just as attractive to me, it's just the timing in the eternal do-si-do of competitive manufacturing. Six months ago, I could have easily been building a 965BE with a 5770. My guess is that what often gets lost in the "who's got the newest and best" war is that a vast majority of gaming rig buyers look at a $1000-$2000 bang for buck rig about every 2-3 years.

This is exactly the Steam demographic.

Last edited:

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
LAWL @ APB on the main page.

"Now available" should read "Now dead".

Last edited: