A Look at AMD's Catalyst 11.4 Driver

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
With our look at AMD's Radeon HD 6990 out of the way, we've decided to shift some focus over to AMD's upcoming Catalyst driver, 11.4, to see all of what it's bringing to the table. Read on as we explore its improvements and additions, and also evaluate AMD's results for multi-monitor performance using its HD 6990.

You can read through our full look at AMD's Catalyst 11.4 driver, and then discuss the article here!

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
good to see they are putting in more resources into their drivers! Always seemed like they never gave a money penny!

U

Unregistered

Nice that they rightly see drivers as critical mass but they also need to address Nvidia's architectural advantages in Physx and CUDA -- and do something about it. I'm willing to wager many power users don't buy ATI cards for that reason ...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Nice that they rightly see drivers as critical mass but they also need to address Nvidia's architectural advantages in Physx and CUDA -- and do something about it. I'm willing to wager many power users don't buy ATI cards for that reason ...

I do wonder about that also. I know a lot of people that purchase NVIDIA for the PhysX support, but I don't know a single person who relies on a CUDA-based app (that I'm aware of, at least). It's just unfortunate that AMD couldn't adopt PhysX if it wanted to, and I don't know how many competing technologies we'd want out there. It'd be almost foolish to have half the games support AMD's physics and then the other half support NVIDIA's.

Where AMD shines is with its multi-monitor support, but I agree, something a bit "extra" would sure be welcomed, especially since the adoption rate for multi-monitor is rather low.