Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Anyone heard anything new about the next generation GPU's
Thew rumor was that the 8950 would b e out in June, here it is late July

Merlin

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The holiday season sounds like a smart idea, really. As it stands, the 8800GTX/Ultra are both incredibly powerful cards.. we just don't need a newer one. The only people who need a faster card are those with 30" monitors, and those people would benefit far better from SLI'd 8800GTX/Ultras then any single card NVIDIA is able to release this year.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
The holiday season sounds like a smart idea, really. As it stands, the 8800GTX/Ultra are both incredibly powerful cards.. we just don't need a newer one.

Native DX10 games are gonna bring those cards to their knee's and make them beg for mercy. BUt I must say that until we have real DX10 games and actual properly function Vista drivers, these cards are not needed.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Native DX10 games are gonna bring those cards to their knee's and make them beg for mercy. BUt I must say that until we have real DX10 games and actual properly function Vista drivers, these cards are not needed.

Vista Drivers?
I have no problem at all with Vista Ultimate.
Do you have the latest drivers?

Merlin

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I must add that I do not have Vista and I am not a Vista basher. Only that from what I have read Vista and Nvidia are still not sleeping together. Any way you look at it, if the upcoming DX10 games are as bad to these cards as the current crop of DX10 ports, then these cards are going to be underpowered for real DX10 games.

NicePants42

Partition Master
I must add that I do not have Vista and I am not a Vista basher. Only that from what I have read Vista and Nvidia are still not sleeping together. Any way you look at it, if the upcoming DX10 games are as bad to these cards as the current crop of DX10 ports, then these cards are going to be underpowered for real DX10 games.
Which is why I'm seriously considering waiting to do a hardware upgrade until X38 and the 9800 series are released. Who knows, maybe by then DDR3 will be affordable and Quad-core prices will have come down again.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Where have there been reports of DX10-lagging with current 8800GTX cards? I am not a GPU guy per-se, so I am a bit out of the loop. The only DX10 game I've tried was Lost Planet, but I didn't delve too much into it because the game is one of the worst I've ever loaded up. Boring and needlessly laggy, even in DX9 mode. I still stand by my thoughts. DX10 is on the way, but it's not going to be 'commonplace' by years end. I'd be skeptical to see dual 8800GTX have a hard time with the new games, but I could be wrong.

As it stands right now, I can run most games at 2560x1600 max settings with an 8800GTX. I couldn't imagine the power with two. Lost Planet lags a bit, but I blame that more on it being a weak port. If it was written fresh for the PC things might be different. I'll need to perform tests within the next month and come up with my own conclusions.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Not so much reports of it lagging, but with Nvidia looking to triple the horsepower and the current crop of ports (and I agree that is a major part of the problem) are really hammering the current cards, and with Vista having not so much luck with SLI (and yes I know Nvidia's drivers have gotten better and there is some support for SLI now) dual cards may not save them. ATI's attempt at DX10 is technically better and should outperform Nvidia's 8800's under DX10, but all it takes is for the codies to cater to Nvidia and the tables would turn. That and considering DX10.1 is already in the works and none of the current DX10 cards will be capable of it, it really makes little to no sense to buy any DX10 card for DX10. I will say that the 8800's are nasty for DX9 and a single 8800GTS is like running 7900GTX SLI, but we really need a true DX10 game to hit the street to test out any of my theories.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'll start worrying about DX 10.1 when I find out that an AGEIA PhysX card actually has a use. I agree that DX10 is not a priority to anyone right now, and it may very well be that the current cards will suffer. But for -now-, they kick amazing ass. Even later this year, I am not sure the DX10.1 titles would be enough for people who have an 8800GT/SX card to upgrade.

It will be interesting to see what does unwrap. I am just glad that the GTX has remained 'kick ass' this long. Normally I acquire a card and it be outdated within a month.

Last edited: