8800GTX to require 450W PSU

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The marketing material included with the card claims NVIDIA requires at least a 450W power supply for a single GeForce 8800GTX, and 400W for the 8800GTS. Top tier vendors in Taiwan have already confirmed with DailyTech that GeForce 8800 cards in SLI mode will likely carry a power supply "recommendation" of 800W. NVIDIA's GeForce 7950GX2, currently the company's top performing video card, carries a recommendation of 400W to run the card in single-card mode.

So... 800W PSU if you wish to run SLI on these babies. Add in the ~100W for your CPU and then another ~100W for your other stuff... then a 1KW PSU is the bare minimum. Even that would be unsafe... so 1.1KW is the only option. Not to mention the addition of water cooling, and all this jazz...

Time to learn how to daisy chain PSU's guys.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4442

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Thats a hungry bitch! Sooner or later they will reach a wall. A brick wall. Then they might redesign the cards so that they don't need a crazy ass cooler on them. I mean what is in these things? P4's?

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
The marketing material included with the card claims NVIDIA requires at least a 450W power supply for a single GeForce 8800GTX, and 400W for the 8800GTS. Top tier vendors in Taiwan have already confirmed with DailyTech that GeForce 8800 cards in SLI mode will likely carry a power supply "recommendation" of 800W. NVIDIA's GeForce 7950GX2, currently the company's top performing video card, carries a recommendation of 400W to run the card in single-card mode.

Thermaltake makes an optional power supply at 250 watts, That is what I'll use in this next build

Merlin/ Deckard