8800 GTX cards, Anyone?

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Okay, the reason I asked was that I'm starting a build with the 8800GTX and the amp required by Nvidia was 28 amps, but I think that was for the main PSU. What I want to do is to use the Thermaltake 250W as an optional power sourse just for the twin 8800GTX's.
Mobo is the M2N32 SLi Deluxe WiFi ( 590i ) I hear the 680i has problems
Ram is Corsair twin pack 1X2 gig 800
Case TBA ( to be announced )
Maybe water cooled

I have another machine, an old 475 Pent4 with Master Cooler water cooled system, 120mm fan....runs great. Vista Ultimate

And my game system right now is a mach speed board with AMD 3500
Nvidia 7800 GS agp
1.5 gigs ram

22" acer display
Klipsch 6.1 surround system

If anyone plays HL2 Deathmatch, I am -=OTC=- Deckard

Merlin

NicePants42

Partition Master
Please don't try to run two 8800GTXs off a 250W Thermaltake PSU. Just get yourself a nice high quality main PSU *cough* jonnyguru.com *cough* and save yourself some hassle.

Also, I read that the 680i had some issues as well, but that was close to 3 months ago, and all I've read lately has been positive. EVGA has a new revision and an updated BIOS. As far as I know, the 590i still doesn't have an fsb strap for the memory, and has always been craptastic in the overclocking department. If you're not into the 680i, just go with 650i or 965 - no sense shooting yourself in the foot.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Haha, no need to cough. We are good friends with Jonny. I agree though, 250W is not a good idea.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I get the message....I'll go with the Thermaltake 850 that has two 6 pin connectors.
Dam, I already have the 590i board ( m2N32 Sli Deluxe )
And I don't see an AM2 board with Nforce680i......590 is as high as it goes without going to Core2

Merlin/Deckard

Last edited:

NicePants42

Partition Master
I get the message....I'll go with the Thermaltake 850 that has two 6 pin connectors.
The message wasn't just about rated power, but also about doing a little research to find a quality unit. Quality isn't something TT is known for.
Dam, I already have the 590i board ( m2N32 Sli Deluxe )
And I don't see an AM2 board with Nforce680i......590 is as high as it goes without going to Core2
If you want to stay away from C2D, I have no idea what to recommend. Your current board is probably fine.