820 D adventures

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Been playing around with the Corsair Nautilus lately, so I thought I would toy with overclocking the Intel again. While the top OC hasn't changed dramatically, it has become more stable.

When I first got the chip, I was hoping to hit at least 4.5GHz, but it looks like that will never happen. Looking around other forums, it looks like you are lucky to get 4.0GHz stable, which I have done. Trying for 4.2GHz atm.. but that only lands me a 30.5s 1 Mill in Super Pi.. kind of cheap, really.

I also OC'd the Super Talent PC2-6400 2GB kit to 4-4-3-4 timings, at 500MHz. Fun fun, hope I don't kill anything.

Attachments

• st443_32.jpg
    st443_32.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 733

Jakal

Tech Monkey
How is the Nautilus in terms of performance? I was looking at some wc kits and that one turned up. Some people have reported the resevoir cracking and leaking. Just wondering how you've done with it. I'm wanting to go with a water setup, but some of the kits out there are above my spending range.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The Nautilus seems great so far. I don't really have much to compare it to on the Intel, but I am happy with 55ºC at 4.2GHz. On the stock cooler I used to get 76ºC at 4.0GHz. Those are load temps of course.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Ok, as an update to this. I believe that my CPU is currently fully capable of being overclocked to 4.2GHz and over, but one core is weaker than the other. This sucks. Somewhere between 4.0GHz and 4.1GHz is perfectly stable though. Too much voltage will shut the PC down quickly, so it looks like I am stuck with the 4.1GHz overclock.

Oh well, could be worse :D

Jakal

Tech Monkey
That's still a strong oc man. Glad to hear you've gotten it that far :D. I'm still waiting on that 3Ghz.. but only time will tell.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I can honestly say that Intels are for the most part easier to overclock than AMD's. Your problem may just be that memory you have in there. An Optie 150 shouldn't really have a huge problem with 3.0GHz. Course you will want more than 1.47v.