8-Bit: The Story as Told by Lego

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
What will 1,500 hours, a lot of Lego blocks and excellent video skills get you? This video answers that question. I recommend clicking play and then clicking again anywhere in the video to go straight to YouTube to watch in HD... it's well-worth the extra bandwidth (60MB).

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0" height="340" width="560"><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4qsWFFuYZYI&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&hd=1" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="340" width="560"> </object>​

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
They did some video retouching such as the greyscale scenes (I think) but, otherwise that was pretty much all blocks... just like when TV shows were made with clay sculptures that had to be shot, molded, shot, recast, etc. This was very well done. :)

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
They did some video retouching such as the greyscale scenes (I think) but, otherwise that was pretty much all blocks... just like when TV shows were made with clay sculptures that had to be shot, molded, shot, recast, etc. This was very well done. :)

Wasn't that called "Claymation" or something like that?

Basically the movies were still shots with small changes between images, so that when played at movie speed it looked like moving statues?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hmmm, I wonder if there is more talent with video editing than with blocks?

That's what bugs me when people post these kinds of things and don't explain it at all. I mean, surely, if you put 1,500 hours into something, you could say a little bit more than, "1500 hours of moving legobricks and take photos of them."?

I'm led to believe that all of it is done with lego though, and few video tricks are used except where it's obvious (like the transitions). Even the old-school video scenes look legit. If you look close, the blocks keep changing places, and the lighting isn't identical 100% of the time.

Either way, the video is very cool.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
2Tired2Tango, yeah that sounds about right. I was just saying they just did the same principle here and put all the sequences together. "Legomation", I guess :)