6800GT Voltage problems

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hey peeps,

Alright, lately when I've been doing gaming related benchmarks, the computer will crash. Also, 3D Mark 05 will show slight artifacts even though the card is at stock speed.

While running a demo of UT2004, the computer will crash within minutes. Looking at the RivaTuner log file, it shows that during a steady stream of 0.839v, it will suddenly pop up to 1.587v, then back down to 0.839v. Shortly after that happens is when the computer will crash.

Now, I haven't done much testing on GPU's for voltages, but is this the reason the computer is crashing? Think there would be a way to fix it?

Once again, I hate the 6800GT. This is the fourth one I have had, and it's still shit. Thanks BFG.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hmm.. it kinda looks like this was all due to my ram being REALLY overclocked. Going to run a few more tests and make sure. Maybe it wasn't the GPU after all.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Haha, System Ram. I had DDR2-800 speeds with 3-3-3-8 timings. Though it proved completely stable in all the benchmarks, apparently it's not so friendly in 3D programs.