5770 vs 4870?

Envy

Obliviot
I haven't really been on in a while and I've hardly posted for a while so I thought I'd start a discussion:
What do you think is better? ATI Radeon HD 5770 or 4870?
In my opinion, the 5770. Why? Well, because it doesn't take as much power, produces less heat, and is only about %10 less powerful than the 4870. Not only that but it also has DX11 so when games eventually don't support DX9 or even DX10 you'll be set. It's also cheaper.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Go with a 5770 and overclock it. If you get one with a good enough cooler (Sapphire Vapor-X or Asus CuCore) you will get a nice little boost in performance.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I recommend the HD 5770 without question. Even without overclocking, the card STILL delivers great performance, and has all of those other perks piled on.

Envy

Obliviot
You guys are assuming I'm buying one? haha I wish :( I was just trying to start a conversation seeing as some people are torn between the two.

401-rick

Obliviot
I would totally go for a 5770. From benchmarks, it seems powerful enough for most apps & games, and for the price and forward compatibility, it's great. Being last gen and for its price, I just don't think the 4870 is a good choice.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
You guys are assuming I'm buying one? haha I wish :( I was just trying to start a conversation seeing as some people are torn between the two.
******* ****** ********* ************!!!! :D
Reminds me of...

b617bf75d34e5b2f7f0ad825fa064a1c.png

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I went from a HD4830 512MB to a HD5770 1GB and seeing how I run 1920X1200 I did notice a nice increase. With prices coming down all the time, they are the best possible budget cards.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
The 5850 is grossly overpriced. Maybe if it were lower the 5830 would be a little bit lower and right in the proper price bracket.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I would not call it grossly overpriced. It is priced exactly where the market allows it which makes it about 10-20% higher than we would like to see it. The lack of competition is really showing and we won't see a price drop any time soon, that's for sure.

I can find HD5770 1Gb cards for $150 + shipping/taxes here in Canada and that is a MONSTER card for that price.

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
I got my 5750 for $130 free shipping back in December. It was a good deal, I was looking at a 4xxx series card for about the same price and it blew it out of the water so I went with it.