$400 PS3 SKU Rumored for Holidays

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
According to a rumor given to Ars Technica, a $399 40GB PS3 is going to be delivered just in time for the holidays. At the same time, the 80GB model will have a price drop to put it down to $499, the same price as the current 60GB model. As we found out last week though, those models will not be lasting for much longer. In addition, Spiderman 3 is supposed to be packed in with the 80GB, but possibly the 40GB as well.

The big question... how many would be willing to lose 40GB to save $100? Chances are good that many will never use even 40GB to begin with, but it could happen. The downside of the 40GB model would be the same as the 80GB, that PS1/PS2 emulation would be software-based and not hardware-based, leading to complications in a fair amount of titles. Before you decide whether or not to wait, read our news post from yesterday which discusses the benefits of the 60GB over the others.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
playstation_3_80gb_080107.jpg
</td></tr></tbody></table>
The 80GB price drop isn't that shocking, but a new $400 40GB system would be huge news. Would people be willing to part with 40GB to save $100? I think so, and having a $400 PlayStation 3 option would be a great weapon this holiday season. If they get to show off the Blu-ray capabilities of the system with Spider-Man 3 bundled? That's a nice package.

Source: Ars Technica

Xel

Obliviot
I am still not sold on the PS3 - when some of the must-haves come out, I might go for it. Final Fantasy, Chrono-series remake, etc. So far, most of the good games are multi-platform, and I have a 360.

--Xel

I am still not sold on the PS3 - when some of the must-haves come out, I might go for it. Final Fantasy, Chrono-series remake, etc. So far, most of the good games are multi-platform, and I have a 360.

--Xel

You nailed it there. If I bought a PS3 I would own 3 games. Motorstorm,Drakes Fortune, Ratchet and Clank.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I'm just addicted to keyboard and mouse PC games.
I had a 360 and sold it for 250.00 to a co worker

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

I'm just addicted to keyboard and mouse PC games.
I had a 360 and sold it for 250.00 to a co worker

lol, funny you say that. I have been thinking about selling mine and getting myself some new hardware :p

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I don't have the internet where I live and I won't miss the extra 40GB of space. I WILL however get this bundle if it comes to market. Then again, I was planning on getting a PS3 anyway so it doesn't matter what they make the pricing.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I have only one thing to say.

Gran Turismo 5

That will drive sales up. That game has a cult following. I also got my PS3 for $300 on Ebay with the Spiderman movie. 40GB FTW!!!

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I never liked emulators, they never seem to perform even decent.

Funny you say that in a thread that talks about how the cheaper PS3s offer only backwards compatibility through software emulation. Thanks for doing it on the cheap Sony.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Funny you say that in a thread that talks about how the cheaper PS3s offer only backwards compatibility through software emulation. Thanks for doing it on the cheap Sony.

Assuming you buy the correct PS3... I can sort of understand their decision to remove the hardware and just do it in software, especially if most things work as they should.

I think they went to far with outright breaking backwards compatibility with the 40GB PS3 though, that one doesn't even support software emulation. Makes me wonder how many buyers found that out only after they'd bought it.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I know for me that any sort of emulation was not even part of my purchase thoughts since I already have the latest version PS2 that my kids use. For me, my PS3 was mainly for my use and Blu-Ray abilities.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Yes, but Sony has created a ton of confusion about this. Around half the general public believe the 40GB PS3 offers software emulation. That more than anything is what I don't like. They could of done a much much better job clarifying that for their customers.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Unfortunately, people are morons. They expect everything for nothing and they always assume that they are getting more for their money than they deserve. I do not feel sorry for ignorant people that don't take even the basic amount of time to research what they are buying.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Unfortunately, people are morons. They expect everything for nothing and they always assume that they are getting more for their money than they deserve. I do not feel sorry for ignorant people that don't take even the basic amount of time to research what they are buying.
And............... Everywhere you go they advertise in that way to temp you....try to make you think they made a mistake.

( Order now and we'll double the order )
Sheeeesh