3d Monitor & Nvidia 3d Kit

mwvirk

Obliviot
Dear friends,

I’m planning to buy Samsung 2233RZ with Nvidia 3D kit but since I never got any chance to watch any 3D movie or game – I would like all of you to help me to understand about this technology.

Is it a right choice to go for 3D monitor or shall I buy a normal LCD 22” monitor.

Mostly I’m playing games and watching movies.

Sys Spec are CPU is Q6600 mobo Asus P5Q with Nvidia 8800GT 4GB RAM

Thanks.

mwvirk

Obliviot
ok
then i'm going to upgrade my RAM from 4GB DDR2 to 8GB DDR3
regarding GPU - i was checking few graph here:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2977/n...th-the-wait-/9
and little bit confused where to go now.

rest of my PSU is already 750WATT and i think i don't have to upgrade it for 3D
coming to the 3D monitors - again i'm not sure about samsung vs acer - what i can understand, samsung is good in lcd screens but still i'll listen to u guys before taking any final decision.

so far its confirm that:
- i need to upgrade RAM
- GPU to be upgraded but what should i buy? GTX 470 or 480 or 270 or 275 or 280 etc
- 3D monitor is big question, then

thanks for your help and i'm sure i'll get my reply shortly.
(since crysis 2 might be using 3D tech, i'd like to upgrade my spec for it before it hit the shelfs)

thanx

Altrus

Coastermaker
About the monitor; if your planing on using the monitor for something more than games like 3D movies, that monitor is not going to work. Blu-ray 3D movies, I believe, require a screen that is 1920x1080....higher resolutions may also work but I'm not sure, so you'd have to go with the Acer or Alienware 3D monitors for that.

Personally I've been considering the Alienware, but I'm still unsure about it. I'm like you, I haven't actually seen the kit in action. I've seen a 3D movie going in my local Bestbuy and used the Nvidia 3D anaglyph version but both of these are drastically different from the 3D vision kit.

If you want to see it in person I suggest going to this site: http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-test-drive-centers.html
to see if there's a store close to you that will have it on display. Its what I was planning, but the closest one is about four and a half hours away from me in Baton Rouge, LA.

mwvirk

Obliviot
ohhh BTW 1 more help -can i use 470 on Asus P5Q mobo

I'm not regular gamer - but interested in very few of old/lastest games, like:
MOH COD GTA & Crysis
I think i really need a advance GPU and for that I'm planning to go for nVidia 470 bcoz 480 is little bit out of range.
i'll be getting it (470) soon and will buy 3D kit & LCD 3D monitor when Crysis 2 is about to release.

thanks for ur help.

MWVirk

mwvirk

Obliviot
thnx for ur support.
now finally its clear that Q6600 will not be suitable for 3D
so can i replace my Q6600 CPU with:
INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q9400 2.66GHZ (6MB CACHE - 1333MHZ FSB)
and is it working on Asus P5Q mobo
and same time can i change my RAM DDR2 to DDR3 with new CPU but on same mobo (Asus P5Q)
and can I replace my 8800GT to:
GTX470 GeForce PCX 1280MB (320-BITS) DDR5 EVGA

so final configuration will be:
Mobo: Asus P5Q
PSU: Thermaltake 750Watt
CPU: INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q9400 2.66GHZ (6MB CACHE - 1333MHZ FSB)
GPU: GTX470 GeForce PCX 1280MB (320-BITS) DDR5 EVGA
RAM: DDR3 (4GB) (((help me what brand and bus speed is auitable for this config now)))

and after that, is it ready for 3D ???

thanks again.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Hey mwvirk, the Asus P5Q only accepts DDR2 memory. You'd want to look for a dual-channel DDR2-800 or DDR2-1066 memory kit, whichever is cheaper as the performance difference is minor and generally not worth paying extra for.