$399 LEOPARD OS X COMPUTER, but for HOW LONG?

MacMan

Partition Master
A Miami company, Psystar is selling a $399 OS X computer called OpenMac. The question is for how long?

Base Configuration consists of:

2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 Processor
2GB of DDR2 667 memory
Integrated Intel GMA 950 Graphics
20x DVD+/-R SATA drive that is Lightscribe-capable
4 rear USB Ports

If only Apple would license OS X, I would go for that. The OpenMac isn't pretty like an Apple computer, but hey, if it works, that's all that matters!

http://www.psystar.com/index.php?&p...facturer_id=4&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    110 KB · Views: 498

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Yeah, But it's still a mac :D

Looks like an eMachine at WallMart

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
If only Apple would license OS X, I would go for that.

I think thats the first sensible, intelligent comment I have read of yours. I would love it if they offered their OS in box form, open for all with compatible hardware to install (everyone now that Steve is in bed with Intel.) Good call.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
They are not doing it out of paranoia I believe. They simply know if they keep everything locked down so everyone must go through them, then they will make much, much more.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I look forward to seeing this go to court, that's all I can say.
Ahhh well they had to give into the mac clones, maybe this will be another change

And it just may be for the good if it does go

Apple acts like they are a little boy in a corner and everyone picks on them ( it seems ) at times.
If they would just loosen up a bit and really grow

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I look forward to seeing this go to court, that's all I can say.

Who would be taking them to court though?? Surely not the customers, no grounds because no one is forcing them to buy Apple? This company had already acquiesced from the sound of it.

MacMan

Partition Master
Actually, I have the theory that maybe, just maybe, Psystar is really Apple , as I posted on my own blog. For a company that wants to sell Mac clones, I find it strange that they said on their home page that they couldn't sell any because they couldn't process credit cards?

It's also interesting that HIS HIGHNESS, Jobs, was just quoted as saying that Psyster wasn't doing anything wrong! So why the silence on Apple's part?

http://my2cents4theday.blogspot.com/2008/04/is-apple-behind-psystars-cheap-mac.html

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Have you guys seen the latest rounds of commercials from Mac? They are really getting nasty and petty. I love how Microsoft doesn't even answer their hate ads at all yet Mac seems to NEED to keep putting out theirs.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Have you guys seen the latest rounds of commercials from Mac? They are really getting nasty and petty. I love how Microsoft doesn't even answer their hate ads at all yet Mac seems to NEED to keep putting out theirs.
A smart ploy, I would say by MS.
No sense in responding and giving MAC more exposure.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I agree that it is a brilliant move on MS's part since any response would be seen as hostility. I just have to laugh at how agressive Apple is getting.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Typical juvenile response. Apple released the first round of ads (I'm a Man / I'm a PC) and they got good responses from them. They ran that into the ground (or they had Drew Barrymore) and got nasty. It's Apple trying to get more attention now that people have forgotten about their first PC bashing ads.