31% of Windows 7 Issues Related to Installation?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yesterday, I posted a brief report about Windows 7 usage from our readers, and the results were quite impressive. As it stands today, almost 30% of our Windows readers use Windows 7, and for an OS that's been out for just over two months, that's quite a feat. I also mentioned that that Windows 7 suffers far fewer issues than Vista did at launch, and while that's true, it appears that a fair number of issues still remain.

windows_7_official_box_art_060809.jpg

You can read the rest of our news post here.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
I also mentioned that that Windows 7 suffers far fewer issues than Vista did at launch, and while that's true, it appears that a fair number of issues still remain.

I'm not sure you can get to that conclusion with the information from the article...

31% of the issues are installation related... But what percentage of Windows7 users are actually having problems? 31% of 1% is totally inconsequential. 31% of 50% is another massive disaster.

:D Still waiting for the service pack....

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
31% of the issues are installation related... But what percentage of Windows7 users are actually having problems? 31% of 1% is totally inconsequential. 31% of 50% is another massive disaster.

That's exactly it. We can't surmise the real weight of the problem without knowing that. But of those 100,000 people who did have a problem, about 31,000 cases were related to installation, and that much is interesting.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
That's exactly it. We can't surmise the real weight of the problem without knowing that. But of those 100,000 people who did have a problem, about 31,000 cases were related to installation, and that much is interesting.

True enough... For a certainty 31,000 people having a problem with something I did would be totally devistating... :eek:

Brett Thomas

Senior Editor
True enough... For a certainty 31,000 people having a problem with something I did would be totally devistating... :eek:

We're also ignoring that 100,000 people were having issues sufficient enough to require outside assistance. The fact that over 30% of these issues related to the product not even being able to install correctly is staggering, but that 100,000 people were looking on JUST ONE help site after so little time is fairly staggering as well. That means these aren't little niggles, there are issues that people are trying to actually get repaired...that's substantial.

And you can bet that many people with non-installation issues tried the "just reinstall it..." mentality.

/me kisses his kubuntu install...

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
And you can bet that many people with non-installation issues tried the "just reinstall it..." mentality.

And this is why I always wait for the first service pack...

Well, strictly speaking that's not entirely true... I didn't upgrade to XP from 2000 until XP was abandoned. I waited for SP3. XP is basically win2k with eyecandy so there was no compelling need to do anything until I started working with hardware win2k could not be made to support (SATA and HD Audio)

Windows 2000 was stable as a rock for me all through it's lifetime, used it from 1999 to early 2007 without even a single grumble about it that couldn't be fixed. XP didn't get that solid until SP3.

Vista has never touched any of my systems -- in fact I used to make money taking it out of people's computers-- and if I keep hearing reports like this win7 might not either.

It's so very old school... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Psi*

Tech Monkey
I just did my 1st Windows 7 Pro 64 bit install ... piece of cake. Whew!:eek: This is a new install in all new h/w.

ASUS P6X58D Premium /w 12 GB DDR3

Last edited:

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
No Problems with 2 installs
1.) An install clean to a new drive Win7 Ult 64 bit
2.) Upgrade from Vista Home Premium64 bit to Win7 Ult 64 bit on the notebook
It was a free update from Acer
Nice and clean install, no problems with install or operating

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
2Tired2Tango said:
Windows 2000 was stable as a rock for me all through it's lifetime, used it from 1999 to early 2007 without even a single grumble about it that couldn't be fixed. XP didn't get that solid until SP3.

Wow, that's a long time to use that OS. I agree though, it's one of the finest OSes Microsoft ever produced where functionality and stability are concerned.

I'm surprised at the sheer amount of install issues with Win7 though, because I have never had an issue whatsoever. I've had issues inside the OS itself, but nothing major. Although, on my mother's PC, where I installed Windows 7, she's been having an issue where her network will just kick out, and the only way to fix it is to disable and enable the network device. It's highly annoying. Vista used to have this issue on certain machines also. Oddly enough, in all my time of using either Vista or 7, I haven't personally experienced such an issue (I also don't use it as a full-time OS, though).

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
Wow, that's a long time to use that OS. I agree though, it's one of the finest OSes Microsoft ever produced where functionality and stability are concerned.

To be perfectly clear... that was 1999 to 2007 on a single install of win 2000

I'm surprised at the sheer amount of install issues with Win7 though, because I have never had an issue whatsoever. I've had issues inside the OS itself, but nothing major. Although, on my mother's PC, where I installed Windows 7, she's been having an issue where her network will just kick out, and the only way to fix it is to disable and enable the network device. It's highly annoying. Vista used to have this issue on certain machines also. Oddly enough, in all my time of using either Vista or 7, I haven't personally experienced such an issue (I also don't use it as a full-time OS, though).

The network problem is a known issue with some imbedded NVidia network controllers, Rob. They don't all do it and increasing the PCI latency in the BIOS usually fixes it.

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Although, on my mother's PC, where I installed Windows 7, she's been having an issue where her network will just kick out, and the only way to fix it is to disable and enable the network device. It's highly annoying. Vista used to have this issue on certain machines also.

This seems to be the second largest problem I read about with Windows 7... most of those users aren't using NVIDIA chipsets either, most are just OEM boxes. I know one friend that runs WIndows 7 on his Macbook Pro through bootcamp, and he has this exact issue.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
This seems to be the second largest problem I read about with Windows 7... most of those users aren't using NVIDIA chipsets either, most are just OEM boxes. I know one friend that runs WIndows 7 on his Macbook Pro through bootcamp, and he has this exact issue.

Ok so perhaps it's not strictly an NVidia issue... It's interesting to know that as one of my more ambitious friends updated and is having network and wireless problems.

(although quite a few OEM machines come with NVidia chipsets)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I've had minor speed-bumps with Windows 7, but no show-stopping issues, either on my personal PC or the benchmarking machines I use. I might consider myself lucky. It wouldn't surprise me if I ran into an issue sooner than later, though.