2.5-2-2-5 finally but slower than 2.5-3-3-5?!

abracadabra

Obliviot
Ive been wanting to get 2.5-2-2-5 ddr510 out of my ram for ages and have finally done so. My trouble is i am getting less bandwidth, and inturn a slower system than when i had 2.5-3-3-10. I have discovered the reason for this is that i had to turn my tREF seting in bios to 0128 for me to be stable. Doing so has decreased my bandwidth. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how i could benifit from my tighter timings (2.5-2-2-5), rather than loosing out. Its been a long time no post but i remember getting good advice last time i used this forum, Thanks guys.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Wow.. that's a low TREF. You should be at least able to have it at 3280 or near there. Did you try increasing your DRAM Drive Strength and Data Drive Strength? You may also want to see if changing your DRAM Response Time to Fastest makes any difference.

As it stands, if you run MemTest, what kind of bandwidth are you getting? I personally think you are crazy for even considering those types of timings for that kind of speed :p

2.5-3-3-10 was the perfect spot if you ask me.

abracadabra

Obliviot
Thanks for the tips but no go.

2.5-2-2-5 beats 2.5-3-3-10 in all my benchmarks (Super PI, CPU mulimedia, CPU Arithmetic,CS:S stress test, PCMARK and 3dmark03) except Memory bandwidth where 2.5-2-2-5 gets on average 6575.33/6543.33 and 2.5-3-3-10 gets 6977.75/6899.875 . Ive tested 2.5-2-2-5 with a higher tref and it beats 2.5-3-3-10 but its not stable.

Im not too fussed about using 2.5-2-2-5 but ive read other people can do it. Maybe they didnt benchmark or failed to point out there tref was so low!

I must be honest i have still no fan blowing on my ram. Thant could be blaimed quite easily but i dont see how can a higher tref can increase heat. Perhaps anymore tips? i remember Eclipse was a ballistix guy and helped me before. Eclipse you out there??? I think im using 510-3 bios not too sure i here advice sometimes says change bios. If i tried that would i keep all my saved bios settings in CMOS RELOADED. nice one!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Wow, get a fan on that puppy for sure. Simply adding a fan has made a world of difference for me with various modules. I'd recommend a large 120mm fan though, for maximum efficiency.

If your memory at 2.5-2-2-5 beats 2.5-3-3-10 in all tests but bandwidth, I'd take it. It's not a massive loss, only ~300 give or take. I'd definitely add a fan though, especially if you are using 3.0v or more.