2,000W Power Supply anyone?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
FLETCHER, OH – January 3, 2006 – Ultra Products, a global leader in technology solutions, today announces that it will unveil the world’s first 2000W ATX Power Supply Unit for the PC at next week’s Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. The Ultra X3 Modular 2000W PSU has a footprint similar to some competitors’ 1000W units (just 10.25 inches) and is 80% efficient under typical loads. The 2000W X3 will be available to consumers sometime in early 2007. The product will be on display at the ShowStoppers media showcase at the Wynn Hotel on Monday night, January 8th.

“It’s not so much that we believe personal computers today need as much as 2000W of power,” explains George Ali, Vice President of Sales and Marketing for Ultra Products. “In fact, most household circuits can’t even provide the AC power this unit would require in order to put out 2000W of DC power. But there’s the always-inevitable questions of ‘Do I have enough power?’ or ‘Does my power supply have enough juice where my high end components need it.’ That is why we have put together this 2000W unit; as the end all of power supplies as far as DC output goes. With as much as 1800W available on the 12V alone, there should be no concern whatsoever that there is enough power available for quad core, quad GPU or large drive arrays.”

Highlights of the new Ultra X3 Modular PSU include…

* Modular Design – Patented technology helps reduce clutter by using only the cables you need. This not only increases airflow within the case, but it gives the inside of the case a clean professional look.
* Power Protection – Short circuit protection, in-rush current protection, and thermal overload cutoff protection – covering all protection needs for your system.
* Warranty – Register your product online and receive a lifetime warranty.

Attachments

• ultra_2000w_official.jpg
    ultra_2000w_official.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 778

madmat

Soup Nazi
Jon's got one on hand, he's running a Quadfather (The setup formerly known as 4X4) on it with dual 8800GTX's in SLI. He seems to be rather impressed with it.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Jon's got one on hand, he's running a Quadfather (The setup formerly known as 4X4) on it with dual 8800GTX's in SLI. He seems to be rather impressed with it.

That won't touch 2000W. Maybe Octafamily with Quad 8800GTX's if we were lucky :p

However, it's all a huge e-peen competition now anyway. It's cool to see that Ultra is first.

madmat

Soup Nazi
The Quadfather with the 8800GTX SLI won't boot into windows with less than a 700W PSU but 700W and up will do the job just fine. I'd say that the 2KW would run two of those setups with ease.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
As I often do... ive come up with a new word for this level of pwnage.

Techgasm - do you really need a definition for this?

jonnyGURU

Obliviot
Update:

UL won't approve a PSU that is capable of more DC output power than a household outlet is capable of putting out in AC.

Even at 85% efficiency. :D

So the PSU is getting "relabeled" a 1600W PSU with a "peak rating" of 2kW. It's getting re-submitted to UL for approval for this relabel, thus bumping shipments back two months.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Major suckage but I can understand their point. Are there going to be any internal changes to the X-3 1.6KW or will it still be the same monster? (I sort of know the answer to this but others reading this thread might not).

tornado

Obliviot
2000 watts

Hi all

First post here,just had to get in on all this power thing .I have a PCP&C 1kw-sr the first thing i did was run a new Circuit for my computer room these 800-2000 watts PSU dont like 15 or even 20 amp circuits .ever hear the story where the guy buys a new PSU and tripps a breaker.Hes got his system on with 5 other things a 15amp 14ga 20 amp 12ga circuit shared with other current consuming devises wont hold up to a dual 8800 SLI system.hes not popping breaker because his Psu has more power,he tripping because its drawing more power! The PSU IS doing its job.If you ran your system with no problems and your new PSU tripps the breaker your old PSU was not feeding your system with the power it needed,now that it is your weak link is the circuit. I ran a 10ga 30 amp circuit to a 4x4 box just for system and Monitor I built 3 of the same EVGA680I E6600,2 GIG Corsair Doninator 8500,2-Raptor 73`s with twin BGF 8800 GTX I put the PCP&C 1KW-SR in Mine the other two where friends they did not want to send 500,00 on PSU So they put in coolmax 750 the other Thermaltake 700 they both had more problems then i can list BSOD mostly Well i got them to RA and spend twice the money on the ENERMAX 1000.ALL problem cleared, on the 2nd system. 3rd and last, Tripped breakers and BSOD.so we ran a new line,just a 20/12 you see copper is big bucks now .and the problems are all gone.as long as you have a 20/12 alone it should be ok.its within 10% of limit.So i guess what this post is all about is these big Power 850-2000 watt PSU are fine but you still need to run them on a clean Circuit...