189 Mile Wi-Fi Connection Accomplished

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our news:
I can barely keep a great connection between my router and computer (which are right beside each other), but a few Italians have accomplished an incredible feat: 304KM (189Miles) WiFi connection. It was accomplished using a 5.0 GHz Wi-Fi connection and ran between Sardinia Island and Central Italy. Despite the great length, the connection speed was a constant 5MBps.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
wifi_record_304km_082807.jpg
</td></tr></tbody></table>
Wi-Fi transmissions of greater distances have been reported by Gizmag previously, however, this latest endeavor by C.I.S.A.R. has achieved a connection on a 5GHz radio band at transfer rates of 5MBps. “The alignment of two 35dBi antennas at 304km (188.89 miles) spanning sea and land is a very difficult and complicated technical endeavor, but with the Ubiquiti Networks XR5 this was made simple without the need for additional devices. This saved us a lot of time, expense, and resources”, said Mr. Mirco Paesante of the C.I.S.A.R.

Source: GizMag

madstork91

The One, The Only...
A few things to note that I noticed.

The island on the left side is smaller than the entire range. ~3-4 of those could cover then entire Italian peninsula. They plan on "connecting everybody."

America cannot even build one mag lift train to connect the east and west coast, or the eastern seaboard. Hell, even one state.

I would like to see cities like NY use a wifi system. Cheap? Probably not. But considering the amount of "lower" income people and such... A 5mb connection is still better than a 56k dial up.