Logitech Wireless Music System

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Do you wish you had the ability to stream music across your entire house? That's where the Logitech Wireless Music comes in. It will allow you to play all of your digital music through your home stereo or standalone speakers. Let's check it out and see if it's worth your time.

Read the review here then discuss it here!

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Curious... did you do a maximum range test? Im kinda interested in that as i would want to go through a wall and across a living room.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hah, maximum range is 330 feet. It's hard to carry my stereo that far. It's also difficult to plug the stereo into a tree.

dibene

Obliviot
Nice! I've been pondering a remote system for a few months. Klunk aside, I might go get this 8)

My bedroom seems to be "signal challenged" for radio, and I like sleep music without having to burn CD's.

T-Shirt

E.M.I.
Hack #1 borrow/play all your neighbors music
Hack #2 blast your neighboring Logitech Wireless Music users out with your choice of music, at say 3am.

=CDU=Above

Obliviot
I might get something like this. I'td be nice to run speakers out on the back porch without having to worry about wires through walls. Cool Idea.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Pretty cool little gaget, but not something I would buy for myself I don't think.
Besides, my Bose's remote works through the whole house anyway.......;)

Jakal

Tech Monkey
I like the idea, I like the product, but I don't like the hassle. If Logitech is to appeal to the masses it's going to have to make things simpler. I think this would be an excellent product without the trouble it takes to get it set up correctly. No doubt, for the enthusiast this is great, and I'm sure a lot of people will pick it up, but for price and trouble, it's not on my list.

Bobbythecat

E.M.I.
Yeah I'm dying for a wireless speaker system so that I can put one down all over the apartment without bothering with the wires snaking around everywhere. It would be pretty cool if I could link several of this type speakers to have them act in concert. :p

U

Unregistered

Kittymac

I must have been lucky as I found this system virtually installed itself.
However, lately I am having a few breaking-up and distortion problems. I have been told that it could be my microwave or cordless phone. I have the sustem in my lounge, approx 16 mts from my office. I have even had it playing on a stereo outside. Mostly it plays well and the sound is great, but as I said there are times I have a lot of distortion & breaking up. Something must be interupting the signal.
I agree it would be nice to have a display and the remote is hopeless unless I am standing virtually in front of the stereo
I am using Windows Media player and have tried it through Rivers Media Centre, still the problems at times

Appreciate any advise
Thanks

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Sounds like something is interupting the signal for sure... have you dont tests by turning some devices off one at a time to see if the problems persisted?

S

Sam

Wireless problems

Anyone has have problems seperating computer noise from media (winamp) music. The "Music Anywhere" taps/dropdowns don't even appear on the properties menu?
Thanks for help if you got it.

U

Unregistered

Dual output

Can you play music through this device and the computer speakers at the same time.

I want to have music i the kitchen at the same time as the office.

Thanks.

Phil

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
No I don't think so. If you had two of the bases, then perhaps, but since it doesn't I don't think it's possible. I am not saying for sure it's not possible, but it's been quite a while since I've played with this.

U

Unregistered

Just bought the Logitech Music Anywhere, and here's what I got: system set's up itself, and sounds great...until...
first a little distortion, then more and more. Doesn't matter where the receivers are. I put the the two devices a foot or so apart, with the exact same results. Checked on the Logitech website, and multiple posts report IDENTICAL problem. Bug in the system? You be the judge--buyer beware!

Mud Songs

Obliviot
Remote don't work

I got the Logitech Wireless Music System today. Took less than 10 minutes to figure it all out. It's not as easy as it could be to set up and configure it, but you don't have to be a tech wizard to get it up and running.

I hooked the receiver up to two stereos (not at the same time), and had no problems with the sound quality or reception. Very good sound.

My only problem -- and it's a big one -- is that the remote control only works for mute and volume. I can't stop, pause or skip a track. Which means it's not giving me control of the player on my PC (I use WinAmp Pro 5.24). Apparently enabling the "hot keys" under the Winamp preferences is supposed to fix this. It doesn't. I'm not sure what else I do. Playing my entire collection on random play is great, but not being able to skip a track isn't. It's inconvenient. The controls don't even work on the receiver's base. My guess is the signal from receiver (and the remote) isn't making it back to my PC. Whatever the cause, it's disappointing.

The other negative is the fact that I can't get music to play on my remote speakers and my PC speakers at the same time. The manual says it can be done, but I've followed the procedure exactly -- and it can't. I have to choose between my PC speakers or the remote speakers, but not both at the same time.

Neither of these drawbacks are horrible. I'm still very happy to have access to my entire CD collection (encoded as high quality MP3s) anywhere in my house without having to fool with the CDs. But considering the things that don't work as well as they should, the price does seem a bit too high. I recommend ordering it on eBay for half the price.

One other thing: So far I've had no problems with the reception. My cordless phone is right next to the unit, and there is no interference. (Higher levels of a house or apartment will naturally pick up more interference. Thankfully I'm on the first floor of my hosue.) Anyway, like I said, I'm basically satisfied with the product, though the price is too high.

Anyone have problems with the remote? Being able to skip tracks (like it's supposed to) would be a huge improvement.

Buck-O

Coastermaker
One question i have, does the sound dither at all? In other words is there a compression of the sound as its transmitted.

I know that in teh case of Logitechs headphones, alot of sound detail is lost from the way the transmitters handle the sound. And in my previous tests of similar wireless systems there has ALWAYS been a loss in sonic quality. Weither it be frequency responce, or loss of imaging and soundstage, somthing is lost.

Obviously this isnt the kind of product targeted at the audiophile, but im curious to know none the less.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
My only problem -- and it's a big one -- is that the remote control only works for mute and volume. I can't stop, pause or skip a track. Which means it's not giving me control of the player on my PC (I use WinAmp Pro 5.24). Apparently enabling the "hot keys" under the Winamp preferences is supposed to fix this. It doesn't. I'm not sure what else I do. Playing my entire collection on random play is great, but not being able to skip a track isn't. It's inconvenient. The controls don't even work on the receiver's base. My guess is the signal from receiver (and the remote) isn't making it back to my PC. Whatever the cause, it's disappointing.

Did you happen to try another media player (Windows Media Player, Foobar) or anything else? It could be a WinAmp problem, not one of the product. I ask because I had a similar problem with some media player, but I don't recall which. The rest it worked fine, however.

Mud Songs

Obliviot
Remote still doesn't work

Did you happen to try another media player (Windows Media Player, Foobar) or anything else? It could be a WinAmp problem, not one of the product. I ask because I had a similar problem with some media player, but I don't recall which. The rest it worked fine, however.

I tried it with Windows Media Player 10 as well. It doesn't work. I can only mute and change the volume. I even set up the receiver in the same room as my PC, and it still doesn't work, whether I press "skip-track" on the remote or the receiver's base.

I was talking a friend who bought this product, too, and he said SOMETIMES his remote works the way it's supposed to, but most of the time it doesn't. I'm not going to return the product; it's still the best wireless system I can find for the time being. The sound quality is excellent (no interference so far). But there is definitely room for a improvement in terms of the overall package.

Perhaps I should get a wireless keyboard with a 50-foot range and use that as my remote.

UPDATE: Doesn't work with iTunes either. Can't figure out what the problem is. As far as I can tell, I've configured everything properly. My guess is that my receiver can receive a signal, but can't transmit one back. Or there's a bug in the software that doesn't react well with my CPU (which wouldn't be the first time). Things like this can be so buggy at times, I find it's healthier for my sanity to just live with it and let go than try to solve a problem that can't be solved.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Ok, I am not sure if this will help or not, but you may want to make sure that whatever media player you are using is the primary open application. Don't have more than one open and running at the same time, or they could counteract each other.

I'd open one and keep it as the active application... don't minimize. Test to make sure hotkeys in general work in WinAmp as a well (CTRL + B to next song, CTRL + X to pause, etc).