Nintendo Wii U Launches on November 18, Costs $299.99 for 'Basic' Model

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Haul that suit of armor and javelin out of the closet, because Nintendo has finally announced the release date and pricing for its upcoming Wii U console. Why the armor and weapon? If the Wii U's launch is anything like the Wii's, you're going to need any advantage you can get to score one on launch day. For those who might not recall, Wiis remained very difficult to purchase for an entire year after its release. Whether or not Nintendo has the goods to make that happen again, we're not sure.

nintendo_wii_u_091312_thumb.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

ET3D

Obliviot
It's a pity the base price is $299. This doesn't provide any incentive for Microsoft or Sony to lower prices further.

I have a Wii, and I like it because of the new method of control it provided. I think that the next step up in that respect is the Xbox 360 + Kinect. I hope that even though the Wii isn't forcing Microsoft's hand it will still update that combination for the holidays.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
What's with the display on the game pad? It looks like a handheld gaming device by itself.

That is indeed what it is. If someone wants the TV, you'll be able to play your games on the gamepad, and likewise there will be special games available for it.

It's a pity the base price is $299. This doesn't provide any incentive for Microsoft or Sony to lower prices further.

I have a Wii, and I like it because of the new method of control it provided. I think that the next step up in that respect is the Xbox 360 + Kinect. I hope that even though the Wii isn't forcing Microsoft's hand it will still update that combination for the holidays.

Welcome to the forums! And I agree on the price, though it's that gamepad that's responsible for that. It no doubt will cost at least $100 per unit when the individual units are eventually sold.

As for Xbox, I just can't wait until the 720 or whatever it might be called gets released. While I have no interest in the Wii U, I would have interest in the next Xbox for sure. The 360 has just grown long in the tooth for me.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Hey ET3D, it's been a while.

I'm still curious to see what Nintendo can pull off with this system, however it's still Microsoft that will have the best system in my opinion. I'll likely pass over the Wii U for the 720 so I (sorry, so my wife) can get serious games. Enough of the happy fluff, but kudos for the backward compatibility on the controllers.

Take this with a grain of salt...

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/382611/20120910/xbox-720-release-date-2012-leaked-specs.htm

Last edited: