The good ole days?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
When I saw Deus Ex 1 and 2 on sale for $5 together at Steam earlier this week, I had to jump all over it. When the original first came out, I tried the demo and couldn't quite get into it, but with the 3rd game coming up, I felt compelled to want to go back and revisit it. Plus, TG's Senior Editor Brett has raved about the game on occasion, so I figured I had to give it a go.

That all aside, I couldn't help but feel a bit nostalgic when loading up the first-time configuration:

deus_ex_install.png

Remember when games asked you what renderer you wanted to use, rather than just default to DirectX (or OpenGL)? I remember when this was the norm... I used to deliberately test out each to see what the real-world differences looked like. Not all modes worked of course, but it was fun to experiment nonetheless!

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
Oh yeah! 3dfx Glide? That's long buried! Never heard of S3 Metal. These days, developers mostly just go to DirectX. OpenGL seems to have fallen out of favour.

marfig

No ROM battery
I remember wanting a 3dfx glide video card baaaad, because Diablo II used it to give a cool (at the time) 3D effect to the game. Who would have known...

... well, everybody, but me I guess :p When I finally got a Glide ready card, games were no longer using it and I didn't even know

Kayden

Tech Monkey
DeusEx.jpeg

Nuff said (c;

I just went back and play it again myself about 8months ago, good times. I cannot wait for Deus Ex Human Revolution, later this year.

I defiantly remember Glide though, the last Voodoo card I owned was a Banshee what was your guys last Voodoo card?

Oh yeah! 3dfx Glide? That's long buried! Never heard of S3 Metal. These days, developers mostly just go to DirectX. OpenGL seems to have fallen out of favour.

There trying to bring it back with id's Tech 5 and it looks gorgeous! It's also supposed to be open source at some point but I haven't heard when though.

Last edited:

Brett Thomas

Senior Editor
Ah, Deus Ex - one of my all-time favorite games. And then Deus Ex: Invisible War, which was even more of a let-down than Thief 3. Thank you X-Box, middleware, and SCi. May you all burn. :p

Seriously, no anger here...nope...nor bitter resentment. Nor anxious worry over DXIII....I guess I'll see if Square managed to make it shine again, come August. :)

(hopehopehopehopehopehope)

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I tried to get into Deus Ex, I really did...but I really couldn't.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
I defiantly remember Glide though, the last Voodoo card I owned was a Banshee what was your guys last Voodoo card?

VooDoo5 5500 64MB of raw video processing power. AGP style none-the-less :D !
If these youngin's think dual gpu cards are a new idea.. 3dfx was rocking the VooDoo5 5000, 5500 and 6000 (a rare card) with multiple processors. This was also the first implementation of SLi.

Ahhhh.... The good old days. StarCraft, Unreal Tournament, Quake 3 Arena..

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Blasphemyyyyyyyyy!! :mad: :D

Agreed!

I loaded it up the other night and so far I am liking it quite a bit, though I am just two and a half hours in, so I have a ways to go. Hoping to get back into it soon. Here's a quick shot of the game running at 1920x1200:

deus_ex.jpg

(Some elements are brighter than need be... the captured screenshots with FRAPS were -dark-.)

We've come a long way since :D

marfig

No ROM battery
Is there any way I can block entire threads from view?

You know, just so that I can think of work instead of being tempted into gaming a classic.

Damn you, :techgage:!