Palit Radeon HD 4870 X2 1GB - AMD Reclaims GPU Supremacy

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
AMD triumphantly returns with a GPU so powerful, it might just send NVIDIA's engineers scrambling back to the drawing board.

AMD has gone too long without a real high-end graphics card to compete with the competition, but they're done with the pity, and prove it with the HD 4870 X2, which becomes the fastest graphics card the planet has ever seen. It may cost more than the competition, but its end performance easily negates that premium.

You can read the full article here and then discuss it here!

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
AMD triumphantly returns with a GPU so powerful, it might just send NVIDIA's engineers scrambling back to the drawing board.

AMD has gone too long without a real high-end graphics card to compete with the competition, but they're done with the pity, and prove it with the HD 4870 X2, which becomes the fastest graphics card the planet has ever seen. It may cost more than the competition, but its end performance easily negates that premium.

You can read the full article here and then discuss it here!
Would be nice this Winter for a heater.
I might of missed it, but was there a temp graph?

Merlin

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
No sadly, for some reason that skipped my mind. I had so many issues over the weekend with the card and drivers, that I ended up having to leave out a few things I wanted.

The temps aren't a huge deal though, and should be in line with the last HD 3870 X2 card. They are designed to handle 105C without an issue, so I'd expect it to hover around 90C at least during full load.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Very nice, but where's the Crysis test?

Taken from the article:

I should mention also that I had wanted to include results from both Crysis and Half-Life 2: Episode Two, but due to what I believe were driver issues, I was unable. AMD is working to figure out the reason I had such issues, and I will follow-up with results from those two games once it's been sorted out. For now, I don't know what to blame, since other editors don't seem to have the same issues I do. Oddly enough, it's just those two titles, as performance everywhere else is just fine.

No I haven't heard back from AMD about it, so perhaps I should ping them again. I still think it's a driver issue with my particular setup. I'd love to get my hands on some newer drivers.

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
The Crysis test was scrapped because it wasn't delivering the kind of results that we believed the Radeon HD 4870 X2 was capable of, after seeing its runaway performance leads in other games. We're currently working with AMD to determine why the results in Crysis and HL2:EP2 were so hit-or-miss, and as I understand it, Rob plans to follow that article up with some data from Crysis and HL2:EP2 as soon as we figure out what's going on.

[Bah...jumped the gun there. Rob's answer is the definitive one.]

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I never enabled AA in Crysis before, so that wasn't the problem. Half-Life 2 had AA, but it still should have been able to handle that game just fine.

Like I mentioned in the review, judging by the 'previews' that were posted weeks before, the problem was just my own, it seemed. Perhaps I have a less-than-perfect card, I don't know. I tested it on two different computers and had the same issue.