Wii: Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Once again Tony Hawk graces every console imaginable, although the Wii game is unlike any other. Take one part Pro Skater and one part SSX, and we have Downhill Jam.

You can read the full review here and discuss it here.

Buck-O

Coastermaker
In the final paragraph, it was stated that the game didnt feel "next-gen".

I dont think its Nintendos intent to lump the Wii into the next-gen catagory, becuase obviously, it isnt. Next generation game play for sure...next-gen console...definately not.

Unfortuantely i dont see much of what the Wii has to offer ever being better then that of the last generation of the X-Box or PS2. And saddly, most all third party games we see for the Wii will follow this same trend. Basic game play, with basic graphics and sound, with a neuvou control scheme to make it interesting. And as a result alot of 3rd party will end up being disappointing. Becuase theres really nothing to offer.

That said, you dont buy a Nintendo console for third party games anyway. And i dont think that Nintendo intend to direct content against the big jocks like the 360 and PS3. The Wii is more the Metrosexual friend that everyone wants to party with, becuase they have a trendy Ikea house, and iMac, and iPod, and a toaster that has a Pop-Tarts settings.

I think branding it as not being "next gen" enough may be a bit harsh...but i agree withteh review, and am disapointed that the game is so lacking, when there could have been alot more there to do somthing with.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I understand that Nintendo didn't want this to be a next-gen system, and frankly, that's fine. That's not what matters to me. I'm very lenient when it comes to graphics/sound. The game just had no depth like Tony Hawk Project 8. As I said, it felt like I was playing a Nintendo DS game amped up for the Wii, not an Xbox 360 game downgraded for the Wii. There is a difference.

"That said, you dont buy a Nintendo console for third party games anyway."

Well, when it comes to exclusive games, I expect them to be good, irregardless of what console they are on. Nintendo signed up Activision/Toys for Bob for a Wii game, so I don't expect any less quality, really. But, the only games to get outstanding ratings of course, have been Nintendo games thus far. Rayman got good ratings too though, so I shouldn't discredit it.

"I think branding it as not being "next gen" enough may be a bit harsh"

When I say next-gen, I don't mean in terms of graphics and sound... I just mean next-gen as in, what we should expect from games, gameplay wise in 2006. Downhill Jam seemed like a very stripped down version of a game... I just can't shake that off. It was straight forward, and didn't offer much other than the basic gameplay. For an SSX-type game, it was fine. I just wish it had more depth.

I do agree with what you say though. I will be sure to not label the Wii as a "next-gen" in future reviews.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
The Wii is a next gen and ought to be refered to as one. Since when has "next gen" strictly meant that it was going to have better graphics.

Rob is right, its 2006, damned near '07, and the Wii is in fact a next generation console.

Still, it stings to read that the game is so bad. So many good memories playing the earlier Tony Hawk games. They owned so hard.

Buck-O

Coastermaker
It damn well should be a next gen console...but oh...what could have been.

Its "next-gen" becuase it is the "next generation of Nintendo Consoles", and becuase it was released in the same launch window as the 360, and the PS3 (well, more the PS3, but you understand what i mean).

To me being a next generation console, means pushing the envelope of what has become acceptable to the average gamer in terms of graphics quality, and total imersivness into the game play experience. Obviously you cant get much more imersive with the Wii in teh gameplay department...but it falls flat in the graphics, sound, and technicle department.

Its alsmost as though the hardware developers where so proud of their controler design, and so dead set on finding cool ways to use its unique design, that they forgot at the last minute that they actually needed hardware to play it on. And slapped together what they knew, instead of forcing themselves to go forward with the next step of technology (kinda sounds like the cartridge debockle of the N64 all over again, except this time, the inferior hardware appropriately costs less).

Yes, the Wii is fun, ye it has sold well, yes it will get its fair share of use in the party style multiplayer, and non-gamer groups. But i dont think, thats almost entirely for its lack of graphical power, that we will see people camped out at stroes days in advance for a Wii game, like we will no doubt see with Halo 3.

I think with all of that taken into account, perhaps the best thing to call the Wii, is a half generation system...or better yet, an "Alternative-Generation" system. Becuase it offers a new style of gameplay, with a sharp lean tword the retro gamer, and the noobie alike. Its the console you go to when you dont want to play your 360 or PS3 anymore, and want to get your girlfirned to play a game of tennis with you, instead of bitch about how awkeard the controler is.

My one hope for the Wii, is that with teh current generation of gaming being what it is, that the Wii sparks a revolution on more dedicated gameplay, rahter then, as was said in your top 5 article, rediculas tech demos with more HDR lighting then story line.

ANd yes, i will probibly buy one.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Its "next-gen" becuase it is the "next generation of Nintendo Consoles", and becuase it was released in the same launch window as the 360, and the PS3 (well, more the PS3, but you understand what i mean).

That's what I mean... it doesn't matter what the graphics/sound are like. The 360/PS3/Wii all fall into the 7th generation of consoles, therefore next-gen.

My one hope for the Wii, is that with teh current generation of gaming being what it is, that the Wii sparks a revolution on more dedicated gameplay, rahter then, as was said in your top 5 article, rediculas tech demos with more HDR lighting then story line.

I am hoping the same thing. I was talking to a friend the other day... and he mentioned the fact that maybe since the Wii lacks in graphics/sound overall, could it be possible that we could see a sequal to it in a few years (before the next-next-gen) that would be an actual next-gen console? Of course, by that time it would be just a late next-gen console, heh.

I also thought of it another way though... most consoles have a life span of 4 years, usually more. If the Wii makes it through four years, that means when it retires it will have a 9 year old graphic engine!

And here people today can barely play PC games with poor graphics (long live Asherons Call).