Time is Running Out Fast to Speak Out Against SOPA

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I was floored to read that. But the bills are not completely dead, it's just a matter of time before they resurface as part of some new bill.

I was totally amused to hear all four remaining Repub candidates denouncing SOPA though, they wanted nothing to do with it... :D

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
I was floored to read that. But the bills are not completely dead, it's just a matter of time before they resurface as part of some new bill.

That's exactly what these bills were. SOPA was created and first introduced in 2010 under a different name. It was shelved, modifications were made, then it was reintroduced with it's own Senate counterpart PIPA a few months ago. Won't be long before it comes back.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Pretty much, yes. Lamar Smith has had a hand in or directly introduced quite a few of these bills. Until he's finally voted out of office he will continue to create and co-sponsor this legislation or bills like it.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Don't forget about ACTA! http://youtu.be/yQ56UNL5zeo

United States, Australia, Canada, Japan, Morocco, New Zealand, Singapore, and South Korea have already signed this treaty. I don't know much about it besides what they said in the video.

This one tends to scare me more because it's set to be signed off soon. I am not sure of the true legal hassles this act will cause, but from what I understand it spreads out to even more than just music and movies. It almost seems like I could QUOTE a movie on a site and see it get shut down.