Turning your iPhone into a handheld gaming device

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I think this thing looks ugly as sin, and I'm not sure how spot-on a Bluetooth connection would be for gaming, but the iCade is an interesting product nonetheless:

icademobile_575px.jpg

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5337/...eup-with-icade-core-icade-mobile-and-icade-jr

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
Did you see the other one for Android at CES?

Personally I was thrilled to find out about the Sixaxis app for android.... now if I only knew where my PS3 controller was lol.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Did you see the other one for Android at CES?

Personally I was thrilled to find out about the Sixaxis app for android.... now if I only knew where my PS3 controller was lol.

Hah, if you are going to go that far, why not just use your PS3? I can't imagine anyone bringing a separate controller with them anywhere. At that point I'd just pick up a PlayStation Vita or something and have a dedicated device that does games better.

Rebeca

Obliviot
The iCade is very ugly. And how would it handle the iPhone and iPod Touch games which are not made for those type of controllers? I'd think the gaming experience would be worse with it, wouldn't it? Why would anyone prefer buying an iPhone and an iCade to a PS Vita?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Good to see you around, Rebeca!

Also, I have to agree with you completely. Both products I find really ugly, and I am definitely the sort of person to pick up a dedicated gaming device than go this route. The one thing I think about is that a solution like this might work to some extent, but the games that might benefit from this are still going to be written from the standpoint of a touchscreen, so it's not as though using this will feel natural.

Give me a PSP or something similar any day.