HELP ME!!! Realtek SUCKS!!

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
I need a cheap decent sound card. This realtek BS onboard POS SUCKS!! Even with an X-Fi mod on it it sucks because it wont setup my speakers right. I had it right for a day then suddenly nothing works. It probably should be PciE for upgrades sake.

Last edited:

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Yeah, an ASUS Xonar DS or if you can stretch it a bit, a D1. As always, comes down to budget. I'm personally staying away from Creative these days - too many problems, not enough fixes (without being forced to buy a new card).

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
How about a DX, I can get one fairly cheap used, are they good? Also what does the software look like?

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
I wish I could get a PCI-E Via chipset. Those things are AWESOME. Never had a trouble in 2 years on my AMD board. Anyways I just need something to run my 3 sets of speakers correctly. I can get the DX for $50 shipped so.... a bit more than I wanted to spend but oh well.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
We reviewed it back in 2008 - former staff member I think. Have a look - http://techgage.com/article/asus_xonar_dx_71_sound_card/

I'm sure the software has changed a bit, but i can't say for certain. But sure, the cards fine - nearly anything is better than the integrated sound...

Read through Rory's review DarkStarr if you want to get to know the DX without actually purchasing it. You will not find a better review anywhere.

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Looks good, I am not worried about the so called CPU "hit". I was running a Phenom II at 3.8, so I am sure it would have been fine on that but I am selling that and now I am running a i7 2600k at 4.6 Ghz (Could do 4.8 with about another ~.05v).

That's crazy how far the Creative lags behind performance wise. The only thing is since I am picking up mine used it doesn't have any of the accessories but whatever. I really am surprised at how few PCIE audio cards there are.

I personally liked the Via interface on my last board, it was a VT1708S and it ran perfectly. Did all the speakers, took Stereo sound and ran it through all my speakers correctly, bass on the larger ones highs on the tv speakers and mids on my logitech speakers. Too bad they are only PCI not PCIE, I figured since PCI is going away soon (at least on Intel boards) more companies would start making PCIE cards.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well, since no one has recommended it, I'd vote for an ASUS Xonar card ;-)

Just go with one that fits your budget. Even the ~$40 DG kicks the ass off an onboard solution. The DX has been out for a little while, but it too is still a kick-ass offering for the cash.

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
I did indeed grab a Xonar, got the DX for a steal, $50 used. No extras with it but no biggie it works great, so much better than that realtek junk. It is a bit annoying, transfer from a board with great audio and junk internet to one with great internet and junk audio.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I did indeed grab a Xonar, got the DX for a steal, $50 used. No extras with it but no biggie it works great, so much better than that realtek junk. It is a bit annoying, transfer from a board with great audio and junk internet to one with great internet and junk audio.

Dunno, easier to fix junk audio than junk internet perhaps?

I do use the Xonar DX, and although it's an older model it's a solid card. I would have to give kudos to ASUS keeping the drivers updated to fix issues with various games that crop up, too. I hope ya enjoy it :)