Anyone seen the new Yahoo! mail beta yet?

madmat

Soup Nazi
I dunno how many of you use Yahoo! mail but the new beta looks outstanding!

ymailbeta.jpg

Google could stand to learn a few things as far as making the use of their other services from your email page. Imagine being able to access your Youtube or Photobucket accounts via a shortcut that's in plain view and not buried.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Good to hear from you man; please come around more often!

That DOES look good, I admit. I always found Gmail to be hugely clunky, and hate dealing with it (but do since our own mail server is not so great). If I could set up an account there similar to how I have it set up at Gmail, I'd actually consider making the switch, if the entire client works a lot better. Google needlessly makes its software clunky while trying to make it "easier" to use.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Yeah, Rob, sadly I don't think you get the same flexibility as far as POP support like you do with gmail but for a simple personal web mail interface, it's pretty nice. I've had the same Y! mail address for 11 years... now I might start using it more often.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
I have an account there ... lookingforasandybeach@yahoo.com .. used at "special" times:cool:

Last I chekced, a few months ago, they had POP but you had to pay something like $20/yr for it. Not much but with free POP from gmail I don't use it much.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
This is one of the strange things. Here in the UK, Yahoo POP access has always been free, using it for free for over 10 years. Even with ymail and rocketmail, POP was always free in the UK.

Chalk it up as unfair if you want.... maybe it's for legal reasons, who knows. Last.fm is free in the UK too... not email related i know, just strange...

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
I have an account there ... lookingforasandybeach@yahoo.com .. used at "special" times:cool:

Last I chekced, a few months ago, they had POP but you had to pay something like $20/yr for it. Not much but with free POP from gmail I don't use it much.

yeah they do with their mail plus, $20 a year and your email never expires even with inactivity (default is deactivation after 4 months of inactivity.)