Phone network update?

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Seriously this is annoying, apparently Cricket updates their network every so often and now because of the last one around Dec. 26th my flashed Moto Q that worked fine otherwise is now useless. I need to be able to receive texts from people about me repairing their PCs or to be able to receive their reply, but now if its from any network besides cricket I only get the 1st letter, no more no less.

Cricket claims its not them but how else would all the Moto Q users on cricket experience the same failure? Now thanks to this I have to get a new phone, to replace my fully functional phone that has no problems besides being a bit older than most but still.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I am not familiar with this happening at all, but it could be that Cricket didn't mean for this to happen, but it's a side-effect of whatever happened. I don't think most phone carriers care about flashed phones.

Sucks, though. I'm not sure what to recommend, except to go to another carrier that can use the phone, or get a different phone. I wonder if you can get out of a contract if the phone you own simply doesn't work? Might only work if you actually got the phone through that particular carrier...

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Surprise, anyways I think it was unintentional but either way its annoying. I have no contract which is good (Cricket doesn't do contracts, hence phones are not cheap) I am however looking at a Motorola Devour flashed to cricket.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
When I worked for Fido/Rogers, everything was the customer's fault. End of story.

That sounds like Rogers.

I'm surprised that a network change would render a phone useless to be honest. I mean, it seems like the messages and the like want to get through... what could cause the screw-up?

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
That's a bizarre issue... My first guess is a protocol or software issue at the phone level though, especially if it only affected specific phones. Since you mentioned flashing the phone, were there any new updates you could flash to it and see if that resolved the problem?

That was one reason I was leery about people flashing iPhones to work with Verizon, updates were a big issue even if Verizon doesn't/didn't roll out iOS updates to flashed phones, network updates might cause issues and nothing was guaranteed to work properly.

Richard Searle

Techgage Staff
Allot of companies are doing this now, I know Bell Mobility constantly pushes new apps to Blackberry users and OTA updates are common now although most phones allow you to choose when this happens or block the update.
I have heard of the same happening to US carriers.
Did you try wiping the phone back to factory and they starting with a fresh OS?