All ASUS Xonar Users

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I have confirmed there is a driver incompatibility between the ASUS Xonar and ASUS Rampage II Extreme motherboard when paired with Windows 7 64bit. Needless to say this is extremely ridiculous, especially given the ASUS Xonar works in their largest competitor's motherboard (Gigabyte) without problems.

Specifically the problem occurs when 5.1 or 7.1 speaker configurations are selected at the 96Khz or 192Khz settings. Extreme audio distortions will occur depending on the given configuration. Selecting 44.1Khz seems to work around the problem although then the treble sounds way off. Stereo mode works fine... but then what is the point of having a sound card in the first place?

I just wanted to see if anyone else has observed any board specific issues with this sound card.

lilohtpc

Obliviot
Ouch.. I was thinking about moving to the same platform -- ROG MB + Xonar.
Which Xonar were you using then? do you have MB BIOS version?

I have confirmed there is a driver incompatibility between the ASUS Xonar and ASUS Rampage II Extreme motherboard when paired with Windows 7 64bit. Needless to say this is extremely ridiculous, especially given the ASUS Xonar works in their largest competitor's motherboard (Gigabyte) without problems.

Specifically the problem occurs when 5.1 or 7.1 speaker configurations are selected at the 96Khz or 192Khz settings. Extreme audio distortions will occur depending on the given configuration. Selecting 44.1Khz seems to work around the problem although then the treble sounds way off. Stereo mode works fine... but then what is the point of having a sound card in the first place?

I just wanted to see if anyone else has observed any board specific issues with this sound card.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Ouch.. I was thinking about moving to the same platform -- ROG MB + Xonar.
Which Xonar were you using then? do you have MB BIOS version?

Sorry for the late reply on this! ASUS Rampage II Extreme BIOS 1802. The card was an Xonar DX.

There is the slight chance the PSU had something to do with this given I've determined it was the root of the instability issues I couldn't seem to fix. Now that you got me thinking about it I should test it, I'll post back after I do.