Microsoft's Browser Choice Screen Working Well for its Competitors

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
We've talked a fair bit in the past about Microsoft's browser-selection pop-up that has been introduced to European users of Windows, but since it's been implemented, it's been difficult to know what kind of effect it's had on overall browser adoption. While the numbers still aren't definitive, it looks like every browser company aside from Microsoft has a good reason for cheering.

microsoft_browser_choice_022210.jpg

You can read the rest of our post here.

crowTrobot

E.M.I.
There are also even lesser known browsers complaining now that they weren't included in the main browser selection screen (requiring the user to scroll down and have the other browser options on a list) like K-meleon, etc.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
There are also even lesser known browsers complaining now that they weren't included in the main browser selection screen

Of course they'd be complaining... if I were a developer of a Web browser, I'd be doing the same thing. I still find it truly ridiculous that Microsoft was forced into this, but I think it'd be a bad thing if it had to list pretty much every possible browser out there. I think it makes sense to stick with the browsers that actually have good market penetration already.

Yangster

Obliviot
Personally I think this is stupid. I mean, Microsoft freaking designed the OS, why shouldn't they be able to include their own browser as a default? And it's not like they lock you to IE, once you're finished installing Windows you only have to use IE once to dload FF or Chrome or any other browser (or not even once if you've predloaded the browser's setup files). Lately it seems to me like Microsoft is getting their act together so I don't really dislike IE that much anymore.

And I agree with the Mac OS thing. Safari's offered on that list right? So why doesn't MS sue Apple for the same thing?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I mean, Microsoft freaking designed the OS, why shouldn't they be able to include their own browser as a default?

That for me sums it up right there. I am not sure how any straight-thinking individual could look at that and think otherwise. You wouldn't expect to walk into a convenience store and see ads on the wall for other convenience stores people might not be aware of, and you certainly wouldn't see it forced upon a shop owner. I don't see how these two situations are much different.

eunoia

Partition Master
I think courts here have already ruled that bundling IE with Windows was monopolistic and illegal back in the Netscape days.

Why can't they include their own browser as default? Sounds simple on the surface, and perfectly legitimate if they kept it to that. But they never have. An obverse way to put it would be "Why should anybody else be allowed to create software for Windows PCs besides Microsoft?" That's how they think.

The truth is that Microsoft built an empire from creating their own versions of any useful popular software and proceeded to make others progressively onerous to use. If you want a world with no original applications, side with MS and wait to see what they think up on their own.

eunoia

Partition Master
That for me sums it up right there. I am not sure how any straight-thinking individual could look at that and think otherwise. You wouldn't expect to walk into a convenience store and see ads on the wall for other convenience stores people might not be aware of, and you certainly wouldn't see it forced upon a shop owner. I don't see how these two situations are much different.

I agree with this except the situation is not as you're describing at all. It's not walking into 7-11 and seeing a Mac's Milk sign, it's living in 7-11 country and not being able to find a competitor.

eunoia

Partition Master
Here's another bit of fact: (Can you tell this got me riled up? :)

Remember back when games had "For PC" on the box rather than "For Windows"? Why should game manufacturers be forced to advertise for Microsoft? Same play here, do it our way, or we'll force you out because we can. Microsoft invented this crap.

Last edited:

madmat

Soup Nazi
Oh, heavens forbid that a software MFG actually MFG software or that game designers designate the fact that their software works on Windows as opposed to OSX or Linux...

madmat

Soup Nazi
It's more to the point that Apple users need to know that despite the fact that Apple now makes what amounts to a PC with their OS, the games aren't for them. I see plenty of software that declares itself for OSX so why is declaring the same compatibility with the MS product an issue? And Games For Windows also support Windows Live which allows cross-platform gaming.

eunoia

Partition Master
So what changed isn't that MS no longer controls 100% of PCs, but that they're making inroads on Macs?

madmat

Soup Nazi
Only by selling Windows to Mac owners so they can emulate Windows which is a plus for Mac owners. This is something you won't see the Cupertino crowd doing to make inroads into the PC segment. IMHO that is a huge blunder on their part.

eunoia

Partition Master
Agree absolutely, but I can understand why everyone's scared of MS. They're really powerful. That's why my stance is that asking "Why can't they bundle a Zune with their OS if they want?" or making an analogy to a convenience store with ads for another convenience store is disingenuous.