Some questions before I turn to linux

Hi,
I'm fed up with Windows. I'm currently running XP Pro and a while ago it was stuffing up and doing some freaky stuff as it tends to do sometimes, so I did a fresh re-install and its still being typical Windows and today it spontaneously freezed on me so I've had it.

Now, I want to install Linux tomorrow as dual booting with XP so I can still play games when I want to, but I want to be able to keep all of my music playlists from WMP. Is there a Linux player that recognizes them?

Would you recommend Digsby as a good IM program in Linux? It's what I'm using now in XP but I'm kinda slow with stuff like that so I'm just checking if theres something better I haven't seen yet.

Are there any must-have programs in Linux that I should know about?

And lastly, what's the best way to install it to dual boot?

Thanks,

Crysis.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Sounds like you are going to have a problem no matter what system you are running.
XP is pretty stable
Can you explain your freezes?

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Hi,
I'm fed up with Windows. I'm currently running XP Pro and a while ago it was stuffing up and doing some freaky stuff as it tends to do sometimes, so I did a fresh re-install and its still being typical Windows and today it spontaneously freezed on me so I've had it.

Now, I want to install Linux tomorrow as dual booting with XP so I can still play games when I want to, but I want to be able to keep all of my music playlists from WMP. Is there a Linux player that recognizes them?

Would you recommend Digsby as a good IM program in Linux? It's what I'm using now in XP but I'm kinda slow with stuff like that so I'm just checking if theres something better I haven't seen yet.

Are there any must-have programs in Linux that I should know about?

And lastly, what's the best way to install it to dual boot?

Thanks,

Crysis.

Rob is the man to talk to on this. If he hasn't posted in this thread in a day or so, I would PM him and ask for some advice. He has been a Linux only guy for years now and while he does use Windows for a few things, he is a wealth of knowledge in Linux. And beer.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I agree with Merlin on this one. It sounds more like a hardware-related issue than an OS one, so before going further, I'd be sure to stress-test each component to make sure that it's a-ok. The first I would test would be the RAM, without question. It often has the tendency to be the first piece of hardware in a PC to die, and it could also cause strange issues like those that you've experienced.

Download the ISO: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Boot up with it and let the test run through twice. If there are no errors, it's not likely the RAM. Past that, you might want to run a program like IntelBurnTest to stress-test the GPU, and then something else for the GPU, although it's unlikely for that to be the issue. Regardless, hopefully this isn't an issue that can't be easily fixed.

Regarding Linux, I am not sure about the WMP playlists, and it would depend on their format. Are they proprietary do you know, or a standard playlist format like .pls or .m3u? If the latter, then they'll work no problem at all. They'll work only if the playlist file is inside the same folder as the files though, since the paths would be different. As for Digsby, it's not yet available for Linux, and given that I've been waiting for at least half-a-year to see it happen, I'm not sure it will, at least soon. I use Pidgin day in and day out, and as long as you don't need something bloated like the real MSN client, you'll be fine with it.

Must-have applications in Linux? Personally, I rely on these day in and day out:

Amarok - Full-featured audio player, plays basically anything. Requires a little bit of work for great support under Ubuntu, though, but that's still easily taken care of.
Codeine - Media player, but I use this particularly only for DVDs, since it seems to handle them better than anything else out there.
GIMP - Image manipulation tool, like Photoshop, but a bit lighter. Little clunky at first if you are familiar with Photoshop, but in some small regards, GIMP is even better. It just takes a little time to get used to.
k3b - Superb CD/DVD-burning tool. An alternative that I like is Nero Linux, but it costs like $20.
KSnapshot - KDE application, but works under Linux. Allows extremely easy screenshot taking.
MediaCoder - It's a Windows application, but runs through Wine, and runs well. It's for recoding any of your audio/video. For audio conversion though, I'd recommend dBpoweramp which runs great through Wine.
OpenOffice.org 3 - Full-featured office suite. Good alternative for Microsoft Office (MS Office can run also, but it requires you purchase a program from CrossOver Office.)
Pidgin - IM client, supports almost any protocol.
SMPlayer - Fantastic media player, can handle almost anything. Better than VLC in my opinion, especially for HD content.
Vuze - Great BitTorrent client, but requires Java (so a little more RAM is nice to have.)
Wine - Allows the ability to run certain Windows applications, including SOME games.

I included screenshots for some of these as attachments.

If you do any web development, then tools like FileZilla are a no-brainer, although that's available for any platform. For HTML/scripting I use Bluefish, which has it's problems, but works well for what I need it for. If you ever want to know of a certain type of program for Linux that you might need, just ask and I might know what you are looking for. The same thing goes for Linux in general. If you need any support, just post a thread here.

I should also mention, before preparing to install Linux, you'll want to create a partition for its usage. I am not sure how you plan to do things, but if you plan to wipe the entire drive, then you'll want to download a tool like GParted LiveCD, boot up with it and then wipe the entire drive, and create new partitions. For a joint Windows/Linux hard drive, I recommend creating a primary partition for Windows, making sure to make it the exact size you'll need it, and then create an extended partition after that, which will contain all of your Linux-related partitions.

All you need to do is create that one extended partition though, and a Linux partition inside of it. Then, when you install Ubuntu or whatever distro you choose, it will be easier to understand. I've included a picture of GParted that shows how I did my partition layout. You don't need to worry about all the Linux partitions there... you'd just need one. I'm pretty sure Ubuntu will have no issue in partitioning it the way it wants during the install, as long as you allow it to overtake that entire extended partition. Always install Windows before Linux, because Linux will update the boot-loader properly, whereas Windows will not (not even Windows 7 would give a damn about Linux being there). You CAN install Windows after the fact... but you just need to know how to go into your grub and configure it, and that's a little more advanced.

If you plan to keep your current Windows install and want to install Linux on the same drive, you'll need to resize that main partition to make room for it. You can do that with a million different tools, but GParted LiveCD is the best free solution. BE SURE to back up your stuff first though, in case anything goes wrong (and I've had this happen once in the past, so be careful).

Attachments

• amarok.png
    amarok.png
    351.8 KB · Views: 532
  • k3b.png
    k3b.png
    183.5 KB · Views: 538
  • ksnapshot.png
    ksnapshot.png
    290.2 KB · Views: 529
  • mediacoder.png
    mediacoder.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 550
  • gimp.jpg
    gimp.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 533
  • gparted.png
    gparted.png
    58.8 KB · Views: 516
Wow thanks Rob that's heaps of info!

I forgot to mention that randomly when I turn on my comp a high-pitched noise comes through my speakers constantly. I've tried different ports, headphones, etc. I've uninstalled, then updated to the latest audio drivers. I also booted into pclinux while it was like this and the sound was still there so it's obviously a hardware issue. Well I found after rebooting over a number of days it just went away. It hasn't happened for a while now but when it freezed yesterday I rebooted and the sound was there :s I haven't tried memtest yet but I will tonight. I rebooted a couple of times and the sound's gone now anyway.

I also forgot to mention that when I did a fresh install of XP not long ago I left a large unpartitioned space because I thought I would probably install Linux in the near future. Does this mean I can just go ahead and install Linux to that unpartitioned space?

P.S. My playlists are .wpl :S Is there a way for me to save my playlists as another file type? Or if I can't I found that I can open them in notepad and read though the code what songs are there so would I be able to do that in Linux?

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The noise through the speakers, does that happen at POST or when you hit your Windows desktop? If the former, it's probably the audio card, but if the latter, it could be a driver issue (you might want to update or re-install them). The best thing might be to just turn the speakers off until you are in the OS, then turn them back on, so you can avoid the annoyance.

The fact that the sound occurred during a freeze doesn't necessarily mean it's an issue with the audio. Anything could cause an oddity like that... including bad RAM.

If you left an unpartitioned space, that should do just fine. When you go to install Linux, the installer program should automatically detect the free space and want to install it there. Just double-check what it says before you push the "Next" button.

Regarding the playlists, I have no idea as I've never tried them before. If they don't, you can easily edit them in a text editor. You might have to do that anyway, since the paths will have changed (unless you are keeping the playlist file inside the same folder as the music files).

Ah ok thanks Rob installing Linux should be a breeze then.

The noise comes over the speakers when I enter the windows desktop, but as I said before I have already un-installed and then re-installed the audio drivers to the latest version, and it happens in linux as well so I can't really see how it could be a driver issue. Anyways, that's another problem and kinda off-topic.

Thanks for all the help. :)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's hard to say the issue then... but it sounds like it's the audio card. As long as it doesn't pop and whine while you use the PC, you should be fine. If you have any other Linux questions, feel free to ask :)