NVIDIA 9800GTX and GX2 Get Greenlight

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Haha, that card looks great. However, it would look even more killer if it covered and flowed with the entire cooler ;-)

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
You are addicted to checking out your internet speed, aren't you ;-)

And yeah, if your connection loads that slow, I don't feel so bad. Normally, Chinese sites load slow but fine... but that one was ridiculous.
LOL.....YEs, in a way....
I was on dial up for so long, plus the Commodor64 was not that fast either

Merlin is old

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Someone older than me, I'm surprised to say the least.............;)
Yeah, I'm the computer guru at work.
I built a mid ranged system and auctioned it off to raise funds for the Scottish Rite Children Hospital. http://www.choa.org/default.aspx?id=40

Since then, at work, I get the calls to repair co-worker's computers.
Then there are my two sisters and two brothers that call all the time....like the last one I sent to my little bro in FLa.
I know just enough to get by......but I have learned a lot more from the Forums here at Techgage.
Thanks guys.......You're great.

Merlin

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I'm the guy out here where I live, but then again, there isn't anyone else unless you're ready for a drive.............;)

I keep busy by taking in old unwanted systems cleaning them up and repairing them as best I can and then giving them back out to the local poor folks with school age kids so they can at least have something to do school work on.

I'm also the place where folks come that don't have a system or internet so they can checkout stuff on the internet and there are a few kids that come by from time to time to ask questions about computers in general and to learn about hardware or even type up their school papers. I guess you can call me the go to guy in the area.................;).

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I am quite the selfish bastard after reading your guys good deeds.

I am also the computer guy, but I make it a habit to help family and friends only. Fixing computers in general takes far too much time to be doing it for every person who asks.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Well, I don't have a lot else to do during the day as a rule............I'm sort of what they like to call disabled (not completely) so I'm pretty much home bound for the most part and fixing family, friends and whoever else asks, working on computers helps pass the time and every now and then someone might even offer up a little cash on the side. But most of the time I just do it for nothing or trade for something I got a heck of a lot of venison this year already...........;)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Haha. So your family and friends take advantage of the fact that you are trapped! (teasing, haha!)

It's all good though, and I understand where you are coming from. It's good to help out family and friends because you know they are not going to have to go pay $100 to someone at a big store, who will do a seriously half-ass job.

That reason alone is one why I usually do end up helping people out. I can't bare to know my friends are going to shell out a huge wad of cash for a problem that's probably simple.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I'd do just about anything to keep people from going into St Louis to Best Buy to get their systems worked on by the Thief Squad......;)

Those guys are about the biggest rip-offs out there around here.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I'd do just about anything to keep people from going into St Louis to Best Buy to get their systems worked on by the Thief Squad......;)

Those guys are about the biggest rip-offs out there around here.
Geek Squad......I dont really know the story, but the geek squad was a seperate company, maybe some contract with Best Buys. I think it's around 100.00 just to open the case, then whatever repairs are extra.
Yeah, they rip the public off .....
I've always been someoe to look for something that I want, if I don't find what I want, I make it.
Like bunk beds for the kids when they were little, or a solid wood dinning table, book cases...ect.
That's how I got into building my own systems years ago.

Merlin

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You said it... totally criminal. I am not sure if Best Buy are identical to Futureshops here, but Futureshops are also incredibly shady with their rebates and warranties. They love selling everyone their extended warranties, but never fulfill them in a way the purchaser expects.

A family member once picked up a digital camera there, and purchased the extended warranty. It broke within six months of purchase, and it took five months before she received a replacement. Even then, it wasn't even the same camera, or the same company. Specs-wise, it was a lesser-performing camera...

That's just one example... I've heard many others. I pretty much hate Best Buy and Futureshop (same company) and only go there for Blu-ray movies or media, and sometimes music (things I know won't need to be returned).

Geek Squad......I dont really know the story, but the geek squad was a seperate company, maybe some contract with Best Buys.

They were originally an independent company, but Best Buy bought them out and took over. From what I hear, Geek Squad wasn't too bad prior to the acquisition.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
LOL...I know from experience that Best Buys is shady....

I set up a network for a store manager and he said to come into his store and buy something for a discount.
I had been looking st the 76 key, keyboard from Yamaha ( PSR-GX76 )
It was 399.00, so I showed him what I wanted, he opened the box a bit then marked it down as open box model. I got it for 299.00 instead of 399.00.
I was in awe that they could do that.....that's just me
I wasn't really expecting that.

Merlin

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Okay, sorry guys. Here is an alternative link, lists the exact same graphs from the website I linked to... lots of images: http://www.madshrimps.be/vbulletin/f22/geforce-9800gx2-benchmarks-leaked-42701/

As I recall Geek Squad was a separate entity, but Best Buy actually bought them, then integrated them into their schemes... I've heard, seen, and read to many stories about both GS and BB to ever trust either one... would you trust a site that hooks up their internal computer kiosks to a fake internal BB.com website that always has higher prices than those listed on the real BB.com website? ;) People see a great deal that's sold out online, walk into the store, then try to price match it and get shown the false price on the internal BB website.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I here all sorts of nasty stories about what the current GS does when my son brings his friends out for a little home lan action. His best friend used to work for them back in the day before they (GS) got bought out, but he still knows a bunch that still work there.

One thing is for sure, if you ever do take a computer into them to be worked on, you had better remove all personal date from the HD or they will steal it, it happens all the time, they no controls to prevent it from happening.